Quick question about direct debits

The moral is, avoid direct debits especially if your income fluctuates. I would rather have an overdue reminder than an automatic bank charge. Your creditors and your bank love direct debits because you are always the loser.

With internet banking and Bpay at your fingertips, take charge of your finances, don't let anyone else do it for you.

The trouble is, a lot of 'providers' insist you take out a direct debit to pay. But then again I suppose you can always cancel it once whatever service you have is up and running. Then they have to collect by other means.

The trouble is, a lot of 'providers' insist you take out a direct debit to pay. But then again I suppose you can always cancel it once whatever service you have is up and running. Then they have to collect by other means.

If the 'provider' does not have the Bpay facility printed on the back of the account, find one that does. If they do have the Bpay facility, how can they inist you pay by direct debit?

However, I still pay most of my bills at the post office :)

If the 'provider' does not have the Bpay facility printed on the back of the account, find one that does. If they do have the Bpay facility, how can they inist you pay by direct debit?

By inserting into the contract you sign, that payments will be made by direct debit.

(I don't, offhand, know of any company that does this, but I know of many that will charge you extra if you choose to pay by any other method.)

However, I still pay most of my bills at the post office :)

I'm talking about people like BT, Virgin, and pretty much most of the mobile phone contract providers. When you first set up the account (by and large) they will insist on a D/D. Or they'll lure you that way and say it's a lot cheaper....Money off.....blah blah blah!

Not sure what you mean by Bpay?...Maybe I'm a bit thick today! :)

Is not Bpay strictly for the colonial province of Australia?

In the UK we have PayPoint, or bank giro payments (do those still exist?) I assume that Bpay is something similar. The line of his argument was fairly easy to follow even without knowing what the blazes a Bpay was. :cool:

Archived