Research suggests only drinking half a unit of alcohol a day

An Oxford University report says that cutting alcohol consumption to just half a unit, per person, per day could save 4,600 lives in England and lead to widespread health benefits.

That's approximately a quarter of a pint of beer or a quarter of a glass of wine a day. Much less than the current government guidelines.

Hands up all those who are going to adopt these new recommendations.

If you were to average out my consumption and include times like Christmas then I'd probably be under the half a unit a day level. On most weeks my consumption is zero. I had half a glass of wine a few weeks ago, but since then have only put a bit of sherry in cooking, and since I boiled off the alcohol then that may not even count.

Guest sibon

I haven't even adopted the old ones yet:)

Who are these people who waste their lives doing this kind of pointless research? Who's paying for it?

There's a good chance the research was sponsered by the British Heart Foundation, since the lead author works for them.

I wondered if this research was conducted in the same manner as the research that "concluded" that watching TV was dangerous.

Just as there might be a correlation between people watching TV and people being unhealthy, there might also be a correlation between people drinking in moderation and people being healthy, but this does not prove cause and effect.

I am deeply suspicious about this research, and the BHF have previous form in publishing misleading research, and this looks a bit dodgy to me as well.

I think I might pour myself a beer.

An Oxford University report says that cutting alcohol consumption to just half a unit, per person, per day could save 4,600 lives in England and lead to widespread health benefits.

That's approximately a quarter of a pint of beer or a quarter of a glass of wine a day. Much less than the current government guidelines.

89ml of 5.6% lager.

Less than a sixth of a pint!

For a 4.0% lager = 1/4.544th

1 gallon is 4.544 litres (8pints). (1 gallon of 4% = 18.176 units) (gallon of 5.6% = 25.4464 units)

1 gallon of beer a day for a Yorkshire-man is the way.

If we are to follow their recommendations we should sell alcohol by the syringe, so that the small amounts of liquid can be measured accurately.

You don't use an oil drum to measure a teaspoon of sugar do you.

Archived