It's time to demolish the myth about Tony Blair

The trouble is most people in the UK think they're better than working class but they probably don't know what working class are.

Go on then you might as well tell us who is defined as the working class, my understanding is that it was a term used to describe a social group consisting of people employed in manual or industrial work.

Go on then you might as well tell us who is defined as the working class, my understanding is that it was a term used to describe a social group consisting of people employed in manual or industrial work.

Isn't all work that involves human input manual? If not wouldn't it be fully automated?

Isn't all work that involves human input manual? If not wouldn't it be fully automated?

That’s a question and not the answer to the question asked, but if you are correct then everyone that works would be working class.

Then you statement would imply that most people think they are better than themselves.

Of the five million votes that Labour lost in its 13 years in power, four million went awol under Blair's leadership. It wasn't so-called "Middle England" that deserted the party. According to Ipsos MORI, while middle-class professional support for Labour declined by five percentage points between 1997 and 2010, support among skilled workers plummeted by 21 per cent.

what a stupid comment. Skilled workers IS 'Middle England'. But skilled workers don't vote the same across the country. For example, Sheffield Attercliffe has about the average number of skilled workers of any English parliamentary seat. Because it's in Sheffield, it's a Labour banker. But if it were in Hertfordshire, or Buckinghamshire, Labour would only have won it in 1997 and 2001.

Smith would have won the 1997 election, no question about that. But not by anywhere near the margin Blair did, and which ensured, straight away, that there was no chance of Labour not winning the next election, in 2001.

People who vote Labour dont read (anything factual), ive long come to that conclusion.

How can the gap between rich & poor become greater in 13 years of Labour government and yet they profess to look after the "people".

Beggars belief.

And unemployment increased over the 13 years Labour were in power, but most of them try to deny it.

Good link Stoatwobbler, Blair nailed his colours to the mast early after getting into power. http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/ThatcherBlairR_468x668.jpg

I think that's just more common courtesy and respect. Have you ever noticed how party leaders and former rival PMs smile, chat and generally get along together at various civil occasions? They have the maturity to rise above their differences - something which doesn't happen very much on this forum.

I will argue strongly against a poster on one topic, but agree with them on another, and I bet it confuses the hell out of them!

I always thought working class was those who work for someone else. Middle class were those who owned businesses and upper class were the aristocracy. Lower class are those who leech off the state.

the Tories couldn't weren't very persuasive when it came to Middle England in 2010 were they. They didn't win. And as of now, they don't look like they're going to do any better next time. If they lose the same amount of votes Labour lost between 1997 and 2001, 2 million, they'll be done. Kippered. Out of office.

the Tories couldn't weren't very persuasive when it came to Middle England in 2010 were they. They didn't win. And as of now, they don't look like they're going to do any better next time. If they lose the same amount of votes Labour lost between 1997 and 2001, 2 million, they'll be done. Kippered. Out of office.

As long as Miliband is in the driving seat of Labour, the torys and lib dems will stay in power.

Archived