Why aren't seatbelts compulsory on buses

Just wondered why seatbelts on buses aren't made compulsory when they have to be worn in cars, so many children travel by bus these days too:(

I expect school buses have seatbelts

Probably because they are not needed, unless you can prove otherwise?

Just wondered why seatbelts on buses aren't made compulsory when they have to be worn in cars, so many children travel by bus these days too:(

I expect school buses have seatbelts

They don't actually, we have a mock school bus at work to teach kids how to get on and off a bus safely, it doesn't have seatbelts, and to date I've never seen seatbelts on any public vehicle except a Taxi.

They don't actually, we have a mock school bus at work to teach kids how to get on and off a bus safely, it doesn't have seatbelts, and to date I've never seen seatbelts on any public vehicle except a Taxi.

I'm surprised by that - children (and adults of course) have to wear them in a car, and I do know coaches have seatbelts as Leah-Lacie pointed out.

You know in cars, they say you have to wear your belt, as when you jerk forward, you either go through the windscreen if in the front, or, if a rear seat passenger, you crush the front passenger to death? Maybe on buses you only smash your own teeth in, so its not so important? :|

Most likely a cost issue, especially with some of the scumbags that use the buses, the company would be constantly be removing buses from service to go and have a belt replaced because some chav decided to cut it.

Someone elsewhere on the net has provided a nice concise answer.....

......bus passengers are not in the same risk catagory. First, the size of the bus places passengers above the impact in most collisions (rollovers the notable exception). Second, the passengers are free to perform the other tasks that those in personal vehicles do while driving (and thus are distracted). Third, there is no danger of a bus under-riding another vehicle. A small car can easily get under a large vehicle, whether pick-up, bus or truck.

Plus they are generally a lot slower than cars and with the constant stopping and starting and movements of passengers seatbelts would only slow things down to an unworkable level.

On the other hand...Coaches have seatbelts becuase they normally travel longer distances non or limited stop at higher speed.

Archived