Overuse of the word "Obviously"

Have you noticed how the word obviously has become the latest buzzword in people's speech these days. It's all over the place like "at the end of the day" and "24/7" Once you start noticing it, you realise how, most of the time, people use it incorrectly about things that aren't obvious at all. Politicians use it all the time, chavs on Jeremy Kyle use it non stop but they just say ovissly.

Have you noticed how the word obviously has become the latest buzzword in people's speech these days. It's all over the place like "at the end of the day" and "24/7" Once you start noticing it, you realise how, most of the time, people use it incorrectly about things that aren't obvious at all. Politicians use it all the time, chavs on Jeremy Kyle use it non stop but they just say ovissly.

Or "ospical" :hihi:

I really dislike the overuse of "an I was like, an she was like" (instead of "I said and she said") you hear in conversations nowadays. It's lazy and cretinous.

I've noticed it particularly in footballers when they're being interviewed after matches..."obviously" trying to sound intelligent (and failing)

at the end of the day your obviously wrong

That is correct use of the word mel! what is annoying is when people say obviously to things that aren't obvious. For example earlier someone said to me 'obviously because I have a 3 year old I wont be able to do those hours' when she was informing me she had a daughter not reminding me. At the end of the day, I wouldn't have known she had a daughter (only having met her two minutes earlier) so it obviously wasn't obvious, basically :)

I've noticed it particularly in footballers when they're being interviewed after matches..."obviously" trying to sound intelligent (and failing)

Yes, they're either trying to sound intelligent or it's a dig at your intelligence.

I'm guilty of "at the end of the day" overuse.

Inappropriate use of the word "literally" used to do my head in, now I just laugh at the unlikely situations that people seem to be getting themselves into.

The use of the suffix -itis to turn an adjective into a faux medical condition causes me to look condascendingly at the stupiditis sufferer and ask how they know that their adjective is inflamed

Archived