DAB radio reception- megathread

Don't think you can return goods if they're not faulty. Bad signal in your area doesn't entitle you to return it unfortunately. If you go somewhere like richer sounds they will talk you through it. I bought mine there, and whilst it occasionally drops out with poor signal it's rare.

The DAB coverage area does vary across the South Yorkshire in which stations you will receive.

In simple terms in good coverage area you will get all 3 multiplex services National - Regional - Local

In the outer areas of Sheffield ( for example parts of S35) you will not get the Local multiplex service from Crosspool.

Radio services on the Local muliplex include BBC Radio Sheffield - Hallam - Magic - Trax.

I think the Local Muliplex DAB coverage roughly matches that of Radio Sheffield FM 88.6

service.

Just an extra note:

Radio Sheffield FM 94.7 was added to improve coverage in North Derbyshire/North Peak district

Radio Sheffield FM 104.1 was added to cover the rest of South Yorkshire

If you buy a DAB radio go for a mains power one as a battery only one will require new ones every week! (you would be better with rechargable one. Recommend you go for radio model made by PURE.

The only way I've been able to get a decent DAB signal in my house is to stand upstairs with the aerial over my head in the middle of the room. It doesn't work with any channels downstairs or near the walls, so that's a bit of a non-starter.

Stick an outdoor FM aerial up and you will probably get perfect FM reception.

Stick an outdoor DAB aerial up and you will probably get perfect DAB reception

DAB aerials should get you good reception in most of South Yorkshire.

Of course, there are 'dead' areas but most should be fine.

Archived