DAB radio reception- megathread

Hello

The fm reception in my house isnt very good, for instance on a saturday if i want radio sheffield on i can rarely get a good quality signal.

Ive looked on the DAB signal website with my postcode and some have green ticks, some have orange (which means i 'might' be able to get those channels).

So my question is, even though i can get radio sheffield (as an example) it is sometimes crackly, will DAB at least give me a bit of an improvement? Surely?

Thanks

If you are having trouble with receiving radio Sheffield currently, I think you are not going to fair any better with DAB and may not even be able to recieve a DAB signal.

DAB is not all it is cracked up to be. You need a good signal or you get no reception at all. You may currently not get a 'good quality signal' but I am assuming you are able to get reception even if poor quality. With DAB, if there is not a 'good quality signal' then there is no reception.

It is interesting the poor reception of radio Sheffield around Sheffield (i. Woodhouse Mill for one example) but you can get very good reception on the M62 on the far side of Manchester towards Liverpool :huh:

DAB is not all it is cracked up to be. You need a good signal or you get no reception at all. You may currently not get a 'good quality signal' but I am assuming you are able to get reception even if poor quality. With DAB, if there is not a 'good quality signal' then there is no reception.

Total rubbish.

DAB is digital. If you have signal, it's perfect regardless of strength.

Perfect is amazing if you buy decent kit.

No noise from anything, no heterodyne or splatter from whatever.

Anyone that says it's no good either hasn't got it or bought a crappy receiver for 20 quid from some cowboy shop.

I fitted some of the first DAB gear in the UK, so have a pretty fair idea.

How many training courses have you been on?

I like Magic AM and decided to treat myself to a DAB system. I had an aerial installed which totalled over £200 and I still cannot get my preferred radio station. The manager at Currys, Crystal Peaks was very helpful and exchanged the system for a non DAB (he didn't have to). I live in Woodhouse, not out in the desolate outback. I even contacted Magic Radio and their engineers very helpful but I still cannot get DAB. So I have resigned myself to a life of FM and it's not so perfect signal.

Total rubbish.

Anyone that says it's no good either hasn't got it or bought a crappy receiver for 20 quid from some cowboy shop.

DAB is outdated and the bitrate is lousy in this day and age. Bring on DAB +

Total rubbish.

You may well be correct provided you have a good signal but poor signal then forget it.

Hello

The fm reception in my house isnt very good, for instance on a saturday if i want radio sheffield on i can rarely get a good quality signal.

Ive looked on the DAB signal website with my postcode and some have green ticks, some have orange (which means i 'might' be able to get those channels).

So my question is, even though i can get radio sheffield (as an example) it is sometimes crackly, will DAB at least give me a bit of an improvement? Surely?

Thanks

I recently bought a new DAB radio and was amazed at its improved sensitivity. Previous DAB radios have struggled to pick up the signal inparts of our house but the Pure Evoke Mio I recently purchased has no problem even with the rod aerial folded up. It is quite expensive, but a wonderful radio.

By the way the area I am revering to is S25 post code.

The DAB signal is generally good but disappears:

a. on the northbound A61 beyond Hillsborough;

b. on the southbound A61 near Dronfield; and

c. on the westbound A57 beyond Hollow Meadows.

Most in-car DABs have an auto-switchover to FM if that provides a stronger signal for the selected station.

• 2 months later...

I have a problem with my roberts digital radio i cannot recieve any stations having previously not had any issues i bought a new aerial but still nothing i was going to discard it but i thought i'd try it at work and hey presto! it works perfectly anyone got any ideas? by the way i live in oughtibridge and work in attercliffe.

Archived