DAB radio reception- megathread

You can check what reception you should have here................http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

Unless things have changed literally within the last few months then that list is really inaccurate. I tried (again) with a DAB radio here recently and got nothing like the coverage that the above checker tells me that I should get, and the only way that I got the ones that I did get was if I stood in the middle of the upstairs rooms with the aerial held over my head.

If I went downstairs, went close to the walls or put the aerial down then I had only one station predictably, and that was some form of oldies station that I wouldn't want to listen to anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I have purchased a DAB radio from a good store in Sheffield city centre.

The sales person assured me that DAB was the way to go as the signal is now so much better.

Well its not! My old FM radio always got a clear signal on radio Sheffield but this new state of the art thing seems to have a mind of its own.

Its fine with the main BBC programmes but as soon as I try for local I.E. Sheffield, Notts, Lincoln shire, etc its a big let down.

Any thoughts from other DAB users is it worth the money, [The radio was not cheap].

The sales person assured me that DAB was the way to go as the signal is now so much better.

Well its not! My old FM radio always got a clear signal on radio Sheffield but this new state of the art thing seems to have a mind of its own.

Its fine with the main BBC programmes but as soon as I try for local I.E. Sheffield, Notts, Lincoln shire, etc its a big let down.

Any thoughts from other DAB users is it worth the money, [The radio was not cheap].

Go get your money back.:roll:

I think its well worth it.. 6Music, Absolute stations and more.. I can get RadioSheffield in fine..

Have you tried to retune the radio?? Sometimes it needs to go through it once or twice in order to get everything and make sure youre moving the antennae about as well..

If not, then I'd return it if its not giving you everything you want from a radio

I have a Tesco branded DAB radio and it gives a fantastic reception, very clear with no break in signal at all. Sounds like a problem with the radio youve bought.

Archived