DAB radio reception- megathread

Dab is fantastic so many stations and many mw stations are much clearer you might want to try repositioning does it have an airiel?

Well its one of those personel ones that you can use while gardening without upsetting the neighbours, it has a little ariel and speaker but my old Bush was much better.

I have purchased a DAB radio from a good store in Sheffield city centre.

The sales person assured me that DAB was the way to go as the signal is now so much better.

Well its not! My old FM radio always got a clear signal on radio Sheffield but this new state of the art thing seems to have a mind of its own.

Its fine with the main BBC programmes but as soon as I try for local I.E. Sheffield, Notts, Lincoln shire, etc its a big let down.

Any thoughts from other DAB users is it worth the money, [The radio was not cheap].

MY BOLD

If you live in Sheffield you will only get radio station specific to Sheffield with DAB, you will not be able to get local station outside of Sheffield ie Radio Leeds etc which you might get on fm radio

MY BOLD

If you live in Sheffield you will only get radio station specific to Sheffield with DAB, you will not be able to get local station outside of Sheffield ie Radio Leeds etc which you might get on fm radio

Yeah my DAB has both terrestrial and digital signals. You need to switch between the two but you can get both

MY BOLD

Thank you I am on the outskirts but in the Sheffield postal area and my old one was fine on FM, I thought that DAB would be clearer but up to now it is disappointing on Radio Sheffield .

our dab in the house struggles to pick some stuff up,but the fm wouldn't pick anything up we live in a dead spot !! but the dab in my car is spot on drops out in someplaces but on the whole far better than fm stations specially for footy on rs can switch between fm and dab depending on what wave wednesday are on

Also dafodil

In my opinion dab is not the way to go, with my radio i do a fair bit of travelling around the world i can get Radio Sheffield as clear as a bell in all the countries i have been to including India Caribbean Vietnam and a lot lot more countries, if you can afford one get a good quality Wi fi radio i can get up wards of 16000 radio stations on mine

I think the choice on DAB is far better than FM. I am an Absolute Classic guy, you cannot get anything like that on local FM. I have noticed that some stations vary in quality of signal and that the only drawback. I have a Pure Elan at the moment, but am looking to buy the Evoke 3.

Archived