DAB radio reception- megathread

DAB as a standard is rubbish. Most channels are broadcast in mono and the quality is low. often less than half the bit rate you would use for MP3's. Most of the world waited for DAB2 which is what we should have done. DAB radios are over priced and generally only have one speaker. Saying that, if you want to listen to Six Music in the garden then you have to get one. It's a shame we did not wait for DAB2 as there are some really good stations, just a shame the transmission quality is often so poor.

Reception on the cheap one I bought is excellent, it could be faulty, rubbish or you could live in a signal dead spot.

I have a DAB radio in my car and there are some serious dead spots around the city. I notice it most around Hackenthorpe/Waterthorpe/Crystal Peaks area.

Radio 5 Live and 5 sportsextra is great. Crystal clear football and cricket commentary. Mostly listen to Planet Rock as there are few stations playing the stuff I like.

I wonder if it is one of the DAB radios like an ipod but just for radio? If so, I have had a couple and they don't work very well. DAB radios are really good. But they need the aerial taped to a wall for good signal. The personal ones like ipods are not good in my experience, though I always want them to be. For personal radios analogue signal is better. In the house portable DAB is better, and you can get more stations. I would take it back. You could down load podcasts of radio programmes onto an ipod or equivalent to have the radio on whilst gardening.

The signal quality on FM is far superior to DAB which is pretty poor quality.

Better go for an internet radio, which has a much better bitrate and hence sound quality.

I use these, they do FM, DAB and Internet Radio via your wireless router. You can also stream iTunes and Spotify through them -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AVANTI-Table-top-Digital-Music-System/dp/B001RTS582

The sound quality is also superb.

The signal quality on FM is far superior to DAB which is pretty poor quality.

Better go for an internet radio, which has a much better bitrate and hence sound quality.

I use these, they do FM, DAB and Internet Radio via your wireless router. You can also stream iTunes and Spotify through them -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AVANTI-Table-top-Digital-Music-System/dp/B001RTS582

The sound quality is also superb.

My Bold

as my post above wi fi radio, you can get these cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=wi+fi+radio&x=17&y=18

Pure Evoke Flow is a good choice

our dab in the house struggles to pick some stuff up,but the fm wouldn't pick anything up we live in a dead spot !! but the dab in my car is spot on drops out in someplaces but on the whole far better than fm stations specially for footy on rs can switch between fm and dab depending on what wave wednesday are on

A Mexican wave I have heard, Cheers.

They are not my eyes that are rolling.:roll:

Well on looking at the list on my machine it clearly states that the little chap you ended with is! a rolly eyes one so if I have got the wrong end of the stick I am deeply sorry.

Archived