DAB radio reception- megathread

I have a Panasonic AM/FM plus CD player and I bought a Digital Radio tuner for it.

Result - Brilliant. Tuner cost around £30 including antenna. Stations open and close all the time so you retune regularly.

More choice of music/channels so I dont have to listen to the X Factor/ Beyonce/Boyband rubbish played by Radio Hallam and Co.

My Bold

as my post above wi fi radio, you can get these cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=wi+fi+radio&x=17&y=18

Pure Evoke Flow is a good choice

Yes, you can get cheaper, but you can't get better than the Pure Avanti for sound quality.

People on Sheffield Forum always want the cheapest rather than the best, so I suppose your recommendations are more in keeping with the forum ethos.

I have a PURE ONE mi dab/FM radio, cost £24 from Asda and I bought the charge pack from Argos for £11 on offer which gives me 18hrs play on a charge.

I have dropped it a couple of times but it is still in one piece and does the job for me and the sound quality is good.

For readers interested in which radio stations you may receive on DAB radios:

BBC National Stations:

Radio 1 - Radio 1 Extra - Radio 2 - Radio 3 - Radio 4 -Radio 4 Extra

Radio 5 Live - Radio 5 Sport - Radio 6 Music- Asian Network - World service

Commercial National Stations:

Absolute - Absolute 80’s - Absolute 90’s - Absolute Extra

BFBS - Classic Fm -Jazz - Premier Christian

Smooth Radio UK - Smooth 70’s - Talksport - Planet Rock -UCB UK Christian

DAB Radio Stations on Yorkshire DAB Multiplex

Capital (Yorkshire) -Choice- Heart -LBC - Real Radio Yorkshire -Real Radio XS

Yorkshire Radio - UCB Gospel - UCB Inspirational - XFM

Stations on South Yorkshire DAB Multiplex

Absolute Classic Rock - Absolute 60’s - BBC Radio Sheffield -Gold - Heat - Kerrang

Kiss - Magic (SY version) - Hallam -Trax

Information Correct as at June 2012 - Note that the SY DAB multiplex has a more limited coverage area.

I wonder if it is one of the DAB radios like an ipod but just for radio? If so, I have had a couple and they don't work very well. DAB radios are really good. But they need the aerial taped to a wall for good signal. The personal ones like ipods are not good in my experience, though I always want them to be. For personal radios analogue signal is better. In the house portable DAB is better, and you can get more stations. I would take it back. You could down load podcasts of radio programmes onto an ipod or equivalent to have the radio on whilst gardening.

I found that is you get headphones with a gold plate jack plug you get a far better signal on a personal dab radio. But its still a struggle compared with one with a proper arial.

That said I wouldn't swap it for a standard one. Hallam, capital and radio is all I can get in the kitchen. I'd go mad ! No 5live sports extra or absolute 90s ? No thanks !

I found that is you get headphones with a gold plate jack plug you get a far better signal on a personal dab radio. But its still a struggle compared with one with a proper arial.

That said I wouldn't swap it for a standard one. Hallam, capital and radio is all I can get in the kitchen. I'd go mad ! No 5live sports extra or absolute 90s ? No thanks !

A gold plated jack plug ! Would it be worth while trying expensive ear phones in that case.

A gold plated jack plug ! Would it be worth while trying expensive ear phones in that case.

Don't know, I doubt it though. My headphones, which are generally poor on everything else but give a good signal came from poundland. The previous pair, which I lost came from tx maxx.

MY BOLD

If you live in Sheffield you will only get radio station specific to Sheffield with DAB, you will not be able to get local station outside of Sheffield ie Radio Leeds etc which you might get on fm radio

dab radio are no good i cant get yorkshire radio or radio leeds

Archived