DAB radio reception- megathread

Have you considered getting a personal aux speaker and putting it in your laptop/computer, you'd eliminate the reception, and you'd have the choice of thousands of stations :)

This is what I do, I've got a WiFi speaker dock and listen to the radio on it from my computer or phone via the internet.

Radio Hallam should be broadcast 24 hours a day in Afghanistan, in the streets, Mosques...everywhere. It would be more effective than 10,000 extra troops. The Taliban cant fight with their fingers in their ears....:hihi::hihi:

When the station first started it rivaled Radio Sheffield for local news and events inc sports coverage.

Some of the presenters were local selebs.

Now it is just crap.

P.S. My D.A.B. radio will also not get radio Sheffield most of the time. Perhaps the BBC, should get there fingers out and think of all licence payers not just the ones in favoured areas.

Is the problems some people have with DAB due to their area or the particular DAB radio they have? I've been using a DAB radio for ages and I rarely have any signal problems with it (although they seems to be a radio deadzone around Woolley Wood Bottom - FM or DAB). All channels come over crystal clear and a clear improvement on FM.

The signal did use to be weaker but it's rare now that I don't get it at full strength. It's weird how so many people seem to be having issues with it.

The coverage area of the SY DAB multiplex radio service more or less matches the siginal of FM 88.6 Radio Sheffield service. The SY DAB multiplex uses Crosspool transmitter only.

I believe that OFCOM/BBC/Commercial stations are working on plans to redraw the DAB coverage areas to match FM coverage better (more transmitters required to relay the signals)Some former relay transmitter sites that old tv service used may become available to use from next year.

Radio coverage maps may be viewed at http://www.mds975.co.uk

If you have a choice between DAB and FM radio, then always listen to the FM as it has a higher sound quality. Same with Internet Radio which is mostly of superior bitrate to DAB.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Bose Wave CD/DAB Radio in the kitchen. I live on Lodge Moor so you think reception would be as good as possible.

Downstairs, DAB reception is poor; upstairs it's slightly better.

Having spent quite a bit on the Bose, it made sense to have an external digital aerial fitted (not cheap, costing around £100 fitted) but the reception is very strong, sometimes reaching 100 on the signal strength register. (Signal strength is classed into categories with 90-100 rated 'very strong'; those below are classed as 'good' through to 'poor'.)

For a DAB, it sounds very good. But I've started to think again about FM and also, I've become very fond of vinyl records over CD. I bought a Rega turntable for my birthday and am re-visiting some old vinyl records (and I've bought and received some new ones - surprised at how expensive vinyl is!). Analogue recordings simply breathe in a way digital sounds don't.

So for the best of both world's 'daddy's serious stereo system' is now in the lounge and the DAB radio/CD remains in the kitchen! (DAB radios in the bedroom and study also.)

Archived