DAB radio reception- megathread

I've got a Bose Wave CD/DAB Radio in the kitchen. I live on Lodge Moor so you think reception would be as good as possible.

Downstairs, DAB reception is poor; upstairs it's slightly better.

Having spent quite a bit on the Bose, it made sense to have an external digital aerial fitted (not cheap, costing around £100 fitted) but the reception is very strong, sometimes reaching 100 on the signal strength register. (Signal strength is classed into categories with 90-100 rated 'very strong'; those below are classed as 'good' through to 'poor'.)

For a DAB, it sounds very good. But I've started to think again about FM and also, I've become very fond of vinyl records over CD. I bought a Rega turntable for my birthday and am re-visiting some old vinyl records (and I've bought and received some new ones - surprised at how expensive vinyl is!). Analogue recordings simply breathe in a way digital sounds don't.

So for the best of both world's 'daddy's serious stereo system' is now in the lounge and the DAB radio/CD remains in the kitchen! (DAB radios in the bedroom and study also.)

Many DAB radio sets offer switchability between DAB and FM. My car radio does, so that loss of DAB signal (e.g. over Pennines, or on A61 [northbound beyond Hillsborough or southbound beyond Dronfield]) leads to immediate shift of signal to FM for stations transmitted on both.

Many DAB radio sets offer switchability between DAB and FM. My car radio does, so that loss of DAB signal (e.g. over Pennines, or on A61 [northbound beyond Hillsborough or southbound beyond Dronfield]) leads to immediate shift of signal to FM for stations transmitted on both.

With a dual set, why would you choose the DAB over the FM broadcast for a station that is on both? Apart from wanting a delayed time signal that is.

• 5 months later...
Not that many stations...LBC very good :)

Extra Aerial might help - Triax 5 Element DAB Aeria

Yorkshire Multiplex dropped LBC just over a month ago....bereft! I have listened to LBC since 1982 - living in London then......and now not on DAB here in Sheffield....PAH!!!

So....bought an internet radio......but the signal is terrible. Not sure if it is a wi-fi issue....which is reminding me to by a long ethernet lead.....and see if it is any better hardwired. :)

I'm also gutted they dropped LBC, I liked listening to it at night, can't be doing with music when II'm trying to nod off, and all the other "Talk" stations are crap, same topic over and over again. Wireless Radio I listen to know. It's run by Age Concern but they do have some good talks.

Archived