DAB radio reception- megathread

It very much depends on where you live. At my last house, reception was crap, but where we are now its as clear as a bell. At my last house it was gurgly upstairs, and wouldn't work at all downstairs...

It very much depends on where you live. At my last house, reception was crap, but where we are now its as clear as a bell. At my last house it was gurgly upstairs, and wouldn't work at all downstairs...

Perplexed is apt here, too!

This is something new, though - the radio hasn't been moved in the last 3 years, the aerial points exactly where it always has done, but yet I've had this gurgling noise/station not found for the last three days....

Something else strange as well - My beloved's just told me that our TV digibox (in a different room) has been playing up since last night, with the screen going "blocky" and the sound making spitting noises at times.....Digital, again.

Wonder if it is the weather after all?

• 5 months later...

I've got a portable Technika which I got from ebay (new, not used) for about £20 including post. Not that powerful, and as basic as it comes (only 4 presets, and the only sound control is for the volume), but like you, I just wanted it for the kitchen, and it does exactly what I need it to do.

• 1 month later...

are you finding, as I am, that the reception has recently deteriorated and is rather crackly now? - I've got one in the kitchen and one in my bedroom and the sound quality in both of them has become poorer in the last week or two. They are of different makes and were bought at different times, so it makes me wonder if the problem is not in the radios themselves...

Has anyone any info on this, pls?

I'd side with Funky Gibbon in this case.

My Pure Evoke has been fine - well, as fine as DAB is, which is open to debate anyway - for a couple of years, but then we got some new neighbours....and it's been bloody awful since.

The interference - which ranges from literally no reception whatsoever, through to somebody talking under water - seems to be caused by their mounted-on-the-wall plasma TV and/or their central heating timer.

Archived