DAB radio reception- megathread

Sometimes DAB is wonderful.

My business premises are located less than a mile from Hallam FM's studio and - praise the Lord - we can't receive it on our DAB radio.

Unfortunately, we can get it on FM, crackly as it is, so if we want to listen to Don't You Want Me by the Human League we can listen to that.

I noticed this problem last night. Radio 4 on DAB was fuzzy (and continued this morning). All other stations I tried, including the World Service, seemed to be OK. I just thought it was my radio. Now I know different. I am in S7 so it seems to be a Sheffield-wide problem

I'm in S6. Radio 4 reception on FM is fine. Tune to DAB and the sound is, as a previous poster put it so well, like people talking under water. This has only happened in the past few days. Thanks for this thread. Our radio is only 3 months old & I thought we'd have to take it back.

I'd found Radio 4 bad for the last few days but all the other channels OK - even the ones on the same frequency/multiplex so it couldn't be an interference thing. I emailed the beeb yesterday evening and it mysteriously seems OK now. :)

I'm in S6. Radio 4 reception on FM is fine. Tune to DAB and the sound is, as a previous poster put it so well, like people talking under water. This has only happened in the past few days. Thanks for this thread. Our radio is only 3 months old & I thought we'd have to take it back.

The R4 announcement this lunchtime claimed that the problem had been rectified, so if you're still having problems tonight, well......!

The "talking under water" - if you're of a certain age, I likened it to the underwater villain in the Stingray puppet series of many years ago - is definitely caused by local interference in my case. To get any reception at all, my DAB had to sit on top of a bookcase in my main room, with the aerial upright and inclined towards "next door"....enter their off-the-wall plasma job, instant DAB reception loss.

Archived