DAB radio reception- megathread

So we should wait until 2007 before buying a set?

Does time go backwards in your universe? :)

No, I suspect they are not in the shops yet? The guy was asking for advice and I wanted to warn him to make sure he got the latest. The reason for my thinking is that I am not sure if they are transmitting the new signal and it was said on Radio Two that at the change over the current DAB radios won't work.

I'm assuming the new radios will work on both systems? Perhaps you would like to browse the net and let us all know all the in's-and-outs so we can be fully up to date.

Thank you.

I very much doubt they will be switching off the analogue signal when they plan to; the government is just starting to realise what is at stake, and what a colossal féck-up the suggestion is.

You get better quality sound from the UHF signal anyway. And the pips are on time.

As long as car manufacturers keep building cars with stupid custom built-to-the-dash radios which aren't DAB as standard and not an optional extra, DAB will never take off.

If you drive a newish car, just ask how much it is for a DAB radio from your dealer.

Then look on Ebay at those cheap nasty plastic fascia converters so you can fit a "normal" car Stereo and see which (if any) you'd prefer.

I very much doubt they will be switching off the analogue signal when they plan to; the government is just starting to realise what is at stake, and what a colossal féck-up the suggestion is.

You get better quality sound from the UHF signal anyway. And the pips are on time.

It's going off in Conrwall in a couple of weeks time. Heaven help us when it does because all the digital radios I have (and they cover a wide price range) are much inferior to my analogue ones.

As long as car manufacturers keep building cars with stupid custom built-to-the-dash radios which aren't DAB as standard and not an optional extra, DAB will never take off.

Apart from cars every radio (portable or not) seems to have DAB as standard these days so I don't think you can say it won't take off. Plus the manufacturers will have to provide DAB at some point, they don't have a choice.

It's going off in Conrwall in a couple of weeks time. Heaven help us when it does because all the digital radios I have (and they cover a wide price range) are much inferior to my analogue ones.

That's strange because the quality of my 10 year old DAB wipes the floor with every analogue radio I own.

The reception in my house isn't very good on DAB. I can get it upstairs but not downstairs and unless reception improves I am thinking I may have to listen to the radio either on the computer or on Freeview, which again uses a different signal from DAB.

I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. The earliest that switchover will start is 2015, and there are lots of conditions attached, such as 50% of radio listeners must be using DAB to listen before the process can begin (and that's looking very unlikely to happen in time). Since most electronics won't last 5 years these days, you'll need to replace your radio then anyway.

Also, since FM and DAB don't share spectrum to broadcast (like analogue & digital terrestrial TV), the old FM frequencies will be freed up by switchover. Current planning indicates the majority of this spectrum will be made available to community broadcasters (like Sheffield Live), meaning the airwaves won't go silent, you just won't be able to pick up Radio 1 and Hallam FM. Some people would argue that's a good thing...

I listen to the radio all the time.

I own 5 DAB radios (I keep on trying), 3 Internet radios, and numerous analogue ones.

I hate DAB radio.

Not only is the sound quality much more inferior to FM, but I hate the fact that I have yet to find a real portable DAB option. Battery life on DAB can be measured in minutes rather than days, and the reception is not robust enough.

Having the pips 10 seconds off the pace is annoying as well.

In comparison I think Internet radio is fantastic for those with WiFi.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/24829/dab-switchover-date-set-uk.phtml

16 June 2009 17:17 GMT / By Stuart Miles

The Government has outlined plans to switch off analogue radio signals by 2015 in its Digital Britain report published on Tuesday.

The move, which would see a similar switchover process to the Digital TV switchover scheme currently running, would mean radio listeners would have to upgrade to a DAB enabled radio within the next 7 years.

See link above. :cool:

Archived