DAB radio reception- megathread

That's strange because the quality of my 10 year old DAB wipes the floor with every analogue radio I own.

That might be down to your analogue radios.

The BBC recommends recording the UHF signal if quality is your thing, and not the DAB signal, which frequently uses joint stereo and even mono, and bit rates as low as 64kbps using MP2 compression. Listeners to R3 DAB complained loudly when their quality took a nosedive when the BBC dropped the bitrate.

The government have been sold a lemon.

Analogue signals have much better "marginal reception" - you can hear the shipping forecast even if your reception is *really* poor. The signal degrades gracefully, and is useful right up until it disappears completely.

DAB radio signals are fine when strong, but the moment signal strength dips below "moderate" the stream burbles like boiling mud or cuts out altogether. in areas of low propagation it will be totally unlistenable.

Battery operated DAB radios consume power up to 10 times faster than analogue counterparts. In fact you can listen to analogue radio broadcasts without any power supply - something you cannot do with DAB.

And try watching the cricket with Test Match Special on DAB....

• 3 months later...

Hi all!

Please could those with experience of DAB radios in the S6 area help me out.

I'm thinking of getting a DAB radio, but when we've previously tried one in S6 we've got barely anything. Do you need a super aerial to be able to get anything? Or was it just the radio that we tried?

Thanks

Archived