Advice about holiday money (turkey)

Hi,

Were off to Turkey for the first time in August.

I usually change all our money before we go but was wondering if anyone with experience of Turkey knows if this is the best thing to do with Lira?

Thanks.

Hi, I changed my money here before i went to Turkey. At the time, that was the best thing to do. But that was in 2010 so i've no idea if anythings changed since then.

However, i would advise you to take some ten pound notes with you. The Turksish stall holders will often give you a better deal if you pay with English money rather than Lira.

I think at the minute 1 Lira converts to about 35p. So 10L is about £3.50. Don't let them con you, they will try!!

We were in Turkey last month, and the exchange rate over there was slightly better than here. As already said, a lot of the shops prefer english money, so you will get a discount.

And as for taking £10 notes, you will need 1 per person for your entry visa's - DO NOT give them a £20, as you wont get any change back :suspect:

They only take £10 notes for these....

Thanks for that, I remember the visa thing from when we went to Egypt a couple of years ago.

The only thing that concerns me about changing money over there is our AI resort isnt really that near to any towns etc, so if the resort reception is the only place to change it are they going to have a terrible exchange rate, just because they can?

Thanks for that, I remember the visa thing from when we went to Egypt a couple of years ago.

The only thing that concerns me about changing money over there is our AI resort isnt really that near to any towns etc, so if the resort reception is the only place to change it are they going to have a terrible exchange rate, just because they can?

Possibly, so better change most of it before you go, and have £ in the bank as a reserve.

Saying that, I went self catering for 9 days, and took £900 for 2 for wife & myself - 3 meals a day in decent restaurants, plus snacks (know a fantastic kebab shop) and drinking all day & night :hihi:

Plus a few excursions.

Still bought over £300 back :D

Thats another thing, trying to work out how much to take.

Theres 3 of us (myself, a 15 year old and a 12 year old) Were AI, with our own beach and small waterpark.

Wed probably go on a couple of boat trips, and the boys would no doubt want to do a few watersports.

Other than that theres just the bits of tat lovely gifts to buy for family.

Was thinking of changing £400 and taking £150 sterling??

Although the airport when you arrive might have a poor exchange rate it is usually better than at hotel reception.

Some places the rate is set by government so if it is the same everywhere exchanging in the airport before meeting your taxi, tour guide or whatever can give you time to put it out of sight in a relatively safer environment and that way you will already have change to hand for tips. Have fun :)

Archived