Williamson Hardware in Broomhill threatened

Firstly all three councillors have objected to the proposed development. I got a link to the planning online of the council showing emails from all three

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=M3URVJNYFY000

And over a hundred other people have objected. So this confuses me. Do our councillors have no power. All three councillors of different colours (lib dem and labour) have objected. Ordinary people have objected. Yet the council have approved it anyway. Do we have any democracy in Sheffield?

There are only certain reasons why planning would be refused. Were the objections valid ones? Just saying "We don't want a supermarket and we want the hardware shop to stay" is not a valid objection.

Also, what about the rights of the Landlord? Why should he be denied the opportunity to run his business to improve his profits? If someone is offered a new job at more money, should they be denied just because some other people don't want them to take it?

There are only certain reasons why planning would be refused. Were the objections valid ones? Just saying "We don't want a supermarket and we want the hardware shop to stay" is not a valid objection.

Also, what about the rights of the Landlord? Why should he be denied the opportunity to run his business to improve his profits? If someone is offered a new job at more money, should they be denied just because some other people don't want them to take it?

Why is that though. Surely since the council make planning decisions there should be a democratic element to it. And peoples views should count if they object. I have noticed if it was a lapdancing club the peoples views might be listened to more.

Does the Landlord own any other properties in this block? I'm just wondering if he has any 'plans' for other shops. Is the PDSA Shop safe? God forbid...we could lose Balti King! Surely he couldn't touch Boots?

The landlord owns the whole block from the Spar right round to, and including, the Southsea.

WHEN DOES THE CLOSING DOWN SALE START?

• 1 month later...
And over a hundred other people have objected. So this confuses me. Do our councillors have no power. All three councillors of different colours (lib dem and labour) have objected. Ordinary people have objected. Yet the council have approved it anyway. Do we have any democracy in Sheffield?

No, in effect. Local governments are at the mercy of developers with deep pockets who can threaten them with costly lawsuits if they don't give approval, and national policy (which the local governments have to obey) restricts the range of "legitimate" objections quite strictly.

Work colleague just informed me that Williamson's will be moving units when the supermarket opens and will be staying open.

Apparently this story is in the Sheffield Telegraph. Anyone able to confirm?

Yes I can confirm that Williamson Hardware will be returning to their previous premises (currently Blackwell's) around December 1st. with a much reduced stock range. Sainsbury have won.