Williamson Hardware in Broomhill threatened

Can I just say I have read the objections on the planning site and heartfelt though they be they don't actually address an objection to the plan which fits in with the planning regulations.

Saying you want to keep independent retailers is not enough you need to have a planning reason for objecting (such as parking ect) there is no room for sentiment in the planning department and it will fall on deaf ears.

Can I just say I have read the objections on the planning site and heartfelt though they be they don't actually address an objection to the plan which fits in with the planning regulations.

Saying you want to keep independent retailers is not enough you need to have a planning reason for objecting (such as parking ect) there is no room for sentiment in the planning department and it will fall on deaf ears.

Then the best solution would be for people to contact their councillor to see if they can help. Jayne Dunn seems like a good councillor to contact she is very helpful.

The planning application says 'Alterations to retail unit, including the change of use from office to retail to part of the first floor'. Not sure objections on traffic, parking etc would apply. People are genuinely objecting to the loss of Williamsons itself.

I did find on another website that says 'adverse effect on economy or businesses' is a valid objection but at the moment the plans are only to alter the unit.

Just as an aside I remember when Williamsons was on the other side of Crookes Road, roughly where the betting shop is now. Spent many winter evenings trudging down from Roslin Road to buy paraffin from a pump they had in the wall that dispensed it. This was long before central heating, in the era of the Aladdinique and other 'high tech' paraffin heaters!

Real shame if Williamsons disappears, they're a landmark in Broomhill and have always sold quirky things you'd never find stocked in chains.

Anyone know how Blackwells is doing?

I went in the other day. Upstairs is closed, so no maps/Ordnance Survey/HMSO. Very limited choice of books, used to be a good local history section. So a big disappointment.

By the way, Blackwells was the original Williamsons unit. Williamsons then moved into what had been (Wood's?) supermarket. Hmm, isn't that where this thread started?

What is now EuroSpar was built as Mac Market some time after the main part of the row. There was a fenced-off empty plot at that end.

The Fox and Duck is shutting down as well. The landlord is apparently increasing the rent to over 100k a year (!). Not sure if that's a lot for a pub, but it sounds a lot to me!!

Hes done it to everyone so he can get the big names in to pay more rent. On a roll is going to be a megabucks or costabomb coffee.

The Broomhillonline website is a bit of a shambles, to be honest.

If anyone wishes to comment, they can follow this link and search using the key word "Williamson".

It would be a real shame to lose such a wonderful shop.

Thanks - that link works well and have sent my objection

Hes done it to everyone so he can get the big names in to pay more rent. On a roll is going to be a megabucks or costabomb coffee.

The old On A Roll unit and that Juice Bar place are getting knocked through and turning into a Costa. ANOTHER coffee shop in Broomhill!