Call me elitist if you want..

Call me elitist if you want but shouldn't medical professionals have acheived top grades at school?

Did I here on the radio today that the former Labour health secretary Alan Milburn, who apparently is this governments social mobility tsar, has recomended that universities must select a minimum amount of students with less than great grades to enable them to go on to be health professionals??

Why? Someone could get crap grades at school but it doesn't mean later in life they couldn't study hard and get a diploma, A level and/or degree just as good as anyone else.

I know plenty of boy wonders who went to private school, got the best grades and did nothing with their lives.

I think its a great idea. It stops people from "certain schools" and "friends in high places" getting a fast track into university and into the top jobs.

Call me elitist if you want but shouldn't medical professionals have acheived top grades at school?

Did I here on the radio today that the former Labour health secretary Alan Milburn, who apparently is this governments social mobility tsar, has recomended that universities must select a minimum amount of students with less than great grades to enable them to go on to be health professionals??

HI elitist.:)

I know a guy who was a State Enrolled Nurse and was refused entry onto a programme to become a State Registered Nurse because he didn't have the right qualifications. He went to night school, got his A levels and did his medical training. Fantastic doctor!!!!

I know a guy who was a State Enrolled Nurse and was refused entry onto a programme to become a State Registered Nurse because he didn't have the right qualifications. He went to night school, got his A levels and did his medical training. Fantastic doctor!!!!

You appear to be saying: "If you don't have the appropriate qualifications to start a course, go away and get them. When you've got them, come back and do the course. if you are successful, you will qualify and you'll probably be pretty good at your job."

I wouldn't argue with that.

Then again - as we've all read many times on this forum: 'A degree is a degree.'

Each to his own. I'd rather be operated on by somebody who got 'A' levels, went to uni, did a medical degree, did the appropriate post-graduate training and had plenty of experience than be operated on by somebody with a degree in underwater basket weaving.

The days of 'only those educated in top schools are eligible to go to university' have long gone. I've no problem with that.

Unfortunately, there does appear to be a move towards 'anybody who has been to any sort of university and who has got any sort of degree should get any job (s)he wants'.

I wonder whether Mr Milburn would be happy to have one of the 'less than well qualified' surgeons he appears to be advocating operate on him or on his family?

...Or would he go private?

Of all the things we could do to improve social mobility the best Milburn can come up with is allow thickos to be human body mechanics? It's pathetic. What is Cameron thinking having a failed Labour minister and trade union loon in charge of social mobility after Labour's 13 years of decreasing social mobility? Now I know Cameron's lost it. Labour are ideological opposed to the one thing that really helps social mobility .................... a good education. So their answer is to positively discriminate against talented people and insert a quota of numpties. Now there's something doctor's should go on strike about.

Oh by the way Lounge ..................... you're elitist.

Why? Someone could get crap grades at school but it doesn't mean later in life they couldn't study hard and get a diploma, A level and/or degree just as good as anyone else.

I know plenty of boy wonders who went to private school, got the best grades and did nothing with their lives.

I think its a great idea. It stops people from "certain schools" and "friends in high places" getting a fast track into university and into the top jobs.

Thats good, but Mr Milburn seems to want people to actualy become health professionals on the back of mediocre grades.

It seems to be a crude way of making sure that health professionals are not all from the "upper middle classes".

yep, would you want some one with one o level to operate on you? I would want the most talented person in the world.

Labour have lost the plot. Same with pilots. Only the best please.

Archived