Jubilee Protest Day

Why do they get to live in a palace, get international travel, stay in the best hotels, drink fine wines and we all pay for it?

It's complex, but the main gist of it is ...

King Arthur: I am your king.

Peasant Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.

King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.

Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?

[Angelic music plays... ]

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Arthur: Be quiet!

Dennis the Peasant: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

pff - afaiac, inherited lands should go the way of hereditary monarch. It stands to reason, if we declared their position to be defunct, surely we would be declairing their right of ownership of the lands that come with their titles defunct too.

Even if we were to let the former royal family keep their lands, they would still have to pay tax upon any profits made. aside from just owning a bunch of land, what value do they actually add?

the reality is, the royals make a truly ham-fisted job out of attempting to turn a profit from their lands beyond basic 'it's my land' revenues. the duchy of cornwall brand had to be bailed out by waitroise from the verge of total colapse!

at least you didn't try to make the 'tourism' argument like some do - after all, paris has been shunned by sightseers since they lopped the freeloaders heads off, eh?

In reality, i'm far more interested in seeing the house of lords reformed into a democratic institution before worrying about the Saxe-Coburgs. but it would make sense to throw the whole, ridiculous historical aberration out at the same time. if they want to be the head of state, they can stand for election as the head of the lords, and you can vote for them! :D

It's a conspiracy. The royals, the govt, the mainstream media. The only ones not invited to the party are us. We can't even vote for them, so much for a democracy.

It's complex, but the main gist of it is ...

King Arthur: I am your king.

Peasant Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.

King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.

Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?

[Angelic music plays... ]

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Arthur: Be quiet!

Dennis the Peasant: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Haha, thats awesome! Monty python?

My first job as new king of my pricipality i.e. the house is to raid the fridge. Second will be to discover new lands and bring back untold wealth for my people. It's brilliant this self appointed royalty business!

Anybody who prefers to do away with our monarchy and let some of our politicians be rulers of this country need to really take stock. Britain has been made a laughing stock on numerous occasions for the decisions some of these politicians have made. Im no royalist but many countries still respect and envy the fact that we have the royal family.

do you know how these nice families become kings and queens?

centuries of death, violence, killing, theft, rape

do you know how these nice families become kings and queens?

centuries of death, violence, killing, theft, rape

Yes thats true,but they are not like that now are they?

Do we know what all our own ancestors were like,perhaps its just as well we don't.

Archived