Wait for Daytime Running Lights or intelligent use of lights now?

It's raining, you notice how much water is on your windscreen, windows and door mirrors in spite of having spent a moment or two wiping them before setting off.

You notice that the vehicle behind is visible (headlights on), barely visible (sidelights) or invisible (no lights on at all). Similarly, you notice how the vehicle ahead with headlights is clearly visible in absolute and relative terms (to vehicles ahead of and behind it) - you think, I'd like to be visible to other road users rather than barely visible or invisible.

Or, maybe you haven't given visibility a thought like, it seems, half of the drivers on the road today. And you won't give it a second thought until the manufacturers make it a feature of the vehicle you are driving.

Any chance of some thinking drivers, please?

My car already has daytime running lights on it, so that decision is taken out of my hands. If I was driving on a day like today in my old car I'd have some lights on, probably sidelights as they were really quite bright on my old car.

Archived