Wonga? Be Warned!

I am and as much as I chose to borrow from them, I surely have a right also to cancel, which I am being prevented from doing. My online account will now be active for at least six years and that is not right, if I don't wish to use their services anymore.

Well I'm sure people thank you, as I do, for your warning and will consider them more cautiously in light of this information.

Woh there, I agree with you 99% of the time, but nobody including Wonga.com is holding a gun against peoples' heads are they?

In an ideal world the local credit union would be the main source for loans but people aren't aware of them.

There is a currency monopoly. Wonga are not competing in a free-market.

There is a degree of force. There is difficultly in providing alternative options, for those that need them the most.

Well isn't that how it works? Companies/business models that aren't very good will eventually fail (unless they're bailed out of course... ahem)? You as a consumer are free to choose are you not?

Not in the case of monopoly.

Just delete their website from your favourites and don't go on it again. What does it matter if your account is active for 6 years? You surely must have agreed to this when you took out the original loan?

I signed their Privacy Policy, which only states that by law they have to keep hold of records for at least 6 years for prevention of fraud, but it does not state that that means that you will not be allowed to cancel your online account for at least 6 years.

They have mislead me and thousands of others.

As I have already said, they can still hold records for the legal timescale without preventing someone from deleting their online account with them surely.

Thanks though that at least my experience has warned others. :)

Archived