0845 numbers - complain!

Anyone else sick of paying 35p from your mobile for these numbers?? when it costs 2p a minute from BT landlines this is surely unfair trading.

A previous complaint suggests companies know they are being naughty.

In March after a £7 phone call I complained to HSBC and received compensation and an apology letter, when I complained about the 0845 / 35p phone number. It turns out you can use the international line for free.

It's unfair because as a Business customer sometimes you have to call your bank. And paying this on top of your mobile phone contract is just a joke.

I'd urge anyone to look into alternative numbers - all banks have one.

Fair play to the NHS who now use landline numbers for surgeres, but not enough companies are changing.

If we all complained they would stop this practice and companies would offer an alternative number to use and we'd all be a few quid better off.:)

pretty sure if you was on giffgaff network wich is run by 02 its free to call 0845 numbers

i no its deffo free to ring 0800 of giffgaff network

also if you have a smartphone iphone are any android handset theres loads of free apps to allow you to ring these numbrs for free

Fair play to GIFF-GAFF they look like a really fair mobile phone provider. Unfortunately I'm stuck on a 3 contract for another 14 months or I'd switch.

I'll look at those apps too. I was more bringing to light the bad practice by companies. So many people are just paying the bill without realising they are being unfairly charged.

I got £40 compensation from HSBC. 20 for the cost of calls, 20 for my inconvinience.

And an apology letter just for being douche bags which felt better than the money!. It's worth complaining if you can find the time.

Obviously don't flat out threaten them, but on the letter use words like unfair and allude to the FSA or your banks / companies regulatory body. Because like it or not they have to follow a code of practice and can get into trouble for not doing so.

Just make it clear you know this!

I got £40 compensation from HSBC. 20 for the cost of calls, 20 for my inconvinience.

And an apology letter just for being douche bags which felt better than the money!. It's worth complaining if you can find the time.

Obviously don't flat out threaten them, but on the letter use words like unfair and allude to the FSA or your banks / companies regulatory body. Because like it or not they have to follow a code of practice and can get into trouble for not doing so.

Just make it clear you know this!

Or just use NoTo0870 like everyone else and avoid the charge in the first place.

Or just use NoTo0870 like everyone else and avoid the charge in the first place.

But they paid out compensation. If they had been justified they would have told me to do one. Suggests to me something fishy is going on.

Archived