0845 numbers - complain!

Npower sent me a letter a few months back, you can now call an 0800 number from a landline, or an (i think) 0345 number from a mobile, which is included in mobile minutes, so if you can find an 0345 alternative, this might be cheaper, or free.

Doctors surgeries also use the 0845 number a lot....even though it has been banned by the NHS. They make a tidy sum from doing so.

It hasn't been "banned", but the interpretation of the General Medical Services contract would seem to make using them a breach of contract.

You need to pressurise your PCT to enforce GPs to provide a geographical number.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_134309.doc

Telephone services

29A. The Contractor shall not be a party to any contract or other arrangement under which the number for telephone services to be used by—

29A.1 patients to contact the practice for any purpose related to the Contract; or

29A.2 any other person to contact the practice in relation to services provided as part of the health service,

starts with the digits 087, 090 or 091 or consists of a personal number, unless the service is provided free to the caller.

Cost of relevant calls

29B. The Contractor shall not enter into, renew or extend a contract or other arrangement for telephone services unless it is satisfied that, having regard to the arrangement as a whole, persons will not pay more to make relevant calls to the practice than they would to make equivalent calls to a geographical number.

29B.1. Where the Contractor is party to an existing contract or other arrangement for telephone services under which persons making relevant calls to the practice call a number which is not a geographical number, the Contractor must comply with sub-clause 29B.2.

29B.2. The Contractor shall—

29B.2.1. before 1st April 2011, review the arrangement and consider whether, having regard to the arrangement as a whole, persons pay more to make relevant calls than they would to make equivalent calls to a geographical number, and

29B.2.2. if the Contractor so considers, take all reasonable steps, including in particular considering the matters specified in sub-clause 29B.3, to ensure that, having regard to the arrangement as a whole, persons will not pay more to make relevant calls than they would to make equivalent calls to a geographical number.

29B.3. The matters referred to in clause 29B.2.2. are—

29B.3.1. varying the terms of the contract or arrangement,

29B.3.2. renegotiating the contract or arrangement, and

29B.3.3. terminating the contract or arrangement.

29B.4. If, despite taking all reasonable steps referred to clause 29B.2.2, it has not been possible to ensure that, having regard to the arrangement as a whole, persons will not pay any more to make relevant calls to the practice than they would to make equivalent calls to a geographical number, the Contractor must consider introducing a system under which if a caller asks to be called back, the Contractor will do so at the Contractor’s expense.

29B.5. For the purpose of clause 29B—

29B.5.1. “existing contract or other arrangement” means a contract or arrangement that was entered into prior to 1st April 2010 and which remains in force on 1st April 2010,

29B.5.2. “relevant calls” means calls—

29B.5.2.1. made by patients to the practice for any reason related to services provided under the contract, and

29B.5.2.2. made by persons, other than patients, to the practice in relation to services provided as part of the health service.

Npower sent me a letter a few months back, you can now call an 0800 number from a landline, or an (i think) 0345 number from a mobile, which is included in mobile minutes, so if you can find an 0345 alternative, this might be cheaper, or free.

Use 0800 buster, It's free.

Anyone else sick of paying 35p from your mobile for these numbers?? when it costs 2p a minute from BT landlines this is surely unfair trading.

A previous complaint suggests companies know they are being naughty.

In March after a £7 phone call I complained to HSBC and received compensation and an apology letter, when I complained about the 0845 / 35p phone number. It turns out you can use the international line for free.

How is it HSBC's fault what your mobile operator charges for an 0845 number?

There's almost always an alternative number, the HSBC one is printed on the card.

It's unfair because as a Business customer sometimes you have to call your bank. And paying this on top of your mobile phone contract is just a joke.

I'd urge anyone to look into alternative numbers - all banks have one.

Fair play to the NHS who now use landline numbers for surgeres, but not enough companies are changing.

If we all complained they would stop this practice and companies would offer an alternative number to use and we'd all be a few quid better off.:)

Just look up the geographic number and use that.

Archived