0845 numbers - complain!

Yes, if your telephone calls package includes 'free' calls in the subscription.

Knock-off the '44' [uK] prefix, insert '0', and off you go.

It appears to be a straight landline number with a code.

How is it HSBC's fault what your mobile operator charges for an 0845 number?

There's almost always an alternative number, the HSBC one is printed on the card.

Just look up the geographic number and use that.

The one hsbc advertise is 0845, on business cards too. The point is the bank and provider are i in cahoots. It's not just a coincidence, which is wrong clearly. Your service should provide you with a reasonable cost and one relative to other comparable services.

The one hsbc advertise is 0845, on business cards too. The point is the bank and provider are i in cahoots. It's not just a coincidence, which is wrong clearly. Your service should provide you with a reasonable cost and one relative to other comparable services.

They aren't in cahoots, HSBC is completely cool with you phoning from a landline. Indeed they've actually had that number for longer than most people have had mobile phones.

They advertise both numbers on their cards though, I know I've got one here to look at.

They aren't in cahoots, HSBC is completely cool with you phoning from a landline. Indeed they've actually had that number for longer than most people have had mobile phones.

They advertise both numbers on their cards though, I know I've got one here to look at.

Both on the site and on the Business cards I have is a 0845 number.

And no 'international' number that happens to be a standard UK geographic number starting +44 1442 ?

Even if you're correct (I don't have a business card to check), it's still not HSBCs fault that your phone operator charges you an excessive amount.

And no 'international' number that happens to be a standard UK geographic number starting +44 1442 ?

Even if you're correct (I don't have a business card to check), it's still not HSBCs fault that your phone operator charges you an excessive amount.

Begs the question, why have an 0845 number in the first place? why have an 0845 number for a branch, which is essentially an office?

there must be some rationale behind that decision. A lot of people these days simply don't use a landline while 99% have a mobile.

Begs the question, why have an 0845 number in the first place? there must be some rationale behind that decision.

Because 0845 numbers were originally designed as a reduced-cost means of telephoning somewhere non-local but at a local rate.

Of course, that pre-dates deregulation of telecoms; all-inclusive call packages, and the rise of mobile telephones.

Archived