0845 numbers - complain!

Because 0845 numbers were originally designed as a reduced-cost means of telephoning somewhere non-local but at a local rate.

Of course, that pre-dates deregulation of telecoms; all-inclusive call packages, and the rise of mobile telephones.

Originally when they dropped the geographic numbers it was probably to start to use a centralised switchboard instead of having people phoning branches direct.

Then they realised that this was causing a problem for customers abroad and they added when possible a standard geographic number that also went to the same call centre.

I'm not saying they don't also make a few pence from the number, but when it costs you 35p/minute HSBC make no more than if you'd used a landline, which is probably to say 1 or 2 pence /minute.

Originally when they dropped the geographic numbers it was probably to start to use a centralised switchboard instead of having people phoning branches direct.

Then they realised that this was causing a problem for customers abroad and they added when possible a standard geographic number that also went to the same call centre.

I'm not saying they don't also make a few pence from the number, but when it costs you 35p/minute HSBC make no more than if you'd used a landline, which is probably to say 1 or 2 pence /minute.

Banks and utility companies revenue share with telecommunication prov. Some banks specifically say they dont di this in the t&c. So it must be happening. Like i said It's a cartel.

You can look it up yourself, the bank makes a fixed amount from an 0845 number whether it's landline or mobile that calls it. The rest of the excessive charge is being charged by your mobile provider who keep it all.

Even if you were correct it's nothing to do with being a cartel.

You can look it up yourself, the bank makes a fixed amount from an 0845 number whether it's landline or mobile that calls it. The rest of the excessive charge is being charged by your mobile provider who keep it all.

Even if you were correct it's nothing to do with being a cartel.

I looked it up, what source are you getting from?

You can't have read it very closely then, or your source was wrong.

0845 prefix

0845 numbers replaced the previous range of 0345 numbers operated by BT and 0645 numbers provided by Cable and Wireless. The older 0345 and 0645 numbers were converted to 0845 numbers as part of the Big Number Change. Until 2004, 0845 numbers were charged at the same rate as a call within the caller's local call area, and were accordingly described as local rate numbers, or using the BT brand name "Lo-call". With few companies now charging domestic customers different rates for local and long-distance calls, 0845 numbers can no longer reliably be assumed to cost the same as a 'local' phone call and can in some cases cost more. Some fixed line telephone companies have started to include 0845 numbers in bundled call allowances.

Revenue sharing

When calling 0844 and 0871 numbers, part of the cost of the call is paid to the recipient; this is known as “revenue sharing”.

When originally introduced in 1996, calls to 0845 and 0870 number from BT lines were charged at the same rate as local and national calls respectively. Since that time the telecommunications market in the UK has changed substantially, with BT facing competition from new entrants into the market such as the Post Office and TalkTalk and increasing usage of mobile phones. As a result of this, and the introduction of monthly price plans which include calls to national numbers but not 0845, 0870 or other non-geographic numbers, it is sometimes considerably more expensive to call a non-geographic number than standard national 01 or 02 numbers. 0871/0872/0873 numbers may only be used with a warning about the cost of calling them. The usage of these numbers is regulated by Phonepay Plus.

There does seem to be some disagreement about revenue share on 0845, but ofcom says it's possible.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/nts_forward/statement/

Which is what we both believed anyway.

I can't find anything that details how the revenue is split, but here's my logic.

HSBC buy the 0845 number from their landline provider (maybe BT for example). The arrangement is that it costs customers 5p/minute and that HSBC get 2.5p/minute of that.

TJC1 phones up from MyExpensiveMobileCompany and is charged £1.00/minute.

BT are paid 5p/minute, HSBC get 2.5p/minute and your mobile company get £0.95/minute (minus any connection charge levied by BT). That's because your mobile company can charge you what they like, BT charge them a connection fee but then the charge is just like normal beyond that. BT pass on only what they've agreed with HSBC, which will be a fixed amount no matter where the call comes from.

Here's an example

http://www.callsure07050.co.uk/0845callforward.html

You could set up a number now where you'll make 0.25p/minute for an incoming call no matter where it comes from.

I'd be interested to know the alternative numbers for the various numbers I've had to call about taxes today... each number I called gave me another 0845 number for some other dept. Then half hour on the phone when I finally found someone who knew what I needed, all because of issues with their website(s) >:(

Archived