T-Cut a family car.

How much for a family saloon?

I started off myself with a cloth but i got hand cramp inside 5 minutes so i gave up. :(

Its not bad but i want it to have that extra shine plus there's a few marks and scuffs i wouldn't mind seeing the back of.

How much and where?

Thanks.

Afraid I can't directly answer you question.

But on a related note, I gave up on T-Cut years ago.

I remember using it on my first couple of cars in the early 90's. My god it worked, you knew it was working because of the distressing amount of paint colour coming off on the cloth.

I don't know if T-Cut has got weaker or it's the change in the formulation of paint on modern cars (I'm sure they changed from lead-based to lead-free paint at some point) but I've found that it doesn't do squat nowadays. I've tried T-Cut original and T-Cut metallic and it can't even cut through the laquer never mind the paint. That might be why you found it so painful to achieve results?

The ColourMagic or T-Cut Colour polishes are as good as any for home use and help restore the colour and get the scratches out, but still only good for real minor surface scratches.

What you really need to use is rubbing compound and a motorised polisher for the worst bits, than a real good polish to finish.

Any car valet place should offer a "full works" with polish, but it sounds like you're after more than a basic polish. Other than that I could only guess at hiring any of those mobile "chip-away" people, they'll have the rubbing compond and and tools etc. But I'd imagine they would charge by the panel and it'll get quite expensive very quickly.

The reason t-cut doesn't strip the paint of these days is because modern cars havea two layer paint job, a base colour (the thing old t-cut would strip away the top layers of to smooth the scratches back) and a clear-coat.

nowadays it's the lacquer you cut back to remove shallow scratches, but bare in mind, that if your nail gets caught on the scratch then it's through to the undercoat and will need filling in iwth paint and lacquer not polishing.

Archived