Problematic Neighbour

Hi,

Currently we have a problematic neighbour, they're not an immediate neighbour but they are constantly lighting fires in their back garden at all times of the day & burning items that shouldn't be burnt (I smelt tyre rubber the other day)

It's meaning that we (myself and other residents) can't use our own back gardens or hang out the washing because the stench drifts our way & when you consider that our back gardens gets most of the day's sun it's really annoying.

We've spoken to their landlord and he does nothing about it.

So I'm here asking, what's my next step legally, I say legally because I just want to go round with a baseball bat and let him know how the rest of the residents feel.

Hi,

Currently we have a problematic neighbour, they're not an immediate neighbour but they are constantly lighting fires in their back garden at all times of the day & burning items that shouldn't be burnt (I smelt tyre rubber the other day)

It's meaning that we (myself and other residents) can't use our own back gardens or hang out the washing because the stench drifts our way & when you consider that our back gardens gets most of the day's sun it's really annoying.

So I'm here asking, what's my next step legally, I say legally because I just want to go round with a baseball bat and let him know how the rest of the residents feel.

Presumably you've already tried to politely request that they quit with the fires all the time?

If so, and if they aren't as hard as nails then a few buckets of water or one of these might be the answer, more effective than direct violence and guaranteed to work.

Presumably you've already tried to politely request that they quit with the fires all the time?

If so, and if they aren't as hard as nails then a few buckets of water or one of these might be the answer, more effective than direct violence and guaranteed to work.

Yup, along with written requests from all concerned too.

I already have a pressure washer, it doesn't project more than a meter before turning into mist.

Yup, along with written requests from all concerned too.

I already have a pressure washer, it doesn't project more than a meter before turning into mist.

Get a Karcher, a hose pipe or one of those high powered kids water pistols

It is a problem area.

To be classified as a "nuisance" over which action can be taken, you need to have a record of it occurring over a period of time. An occasional bonfire is permissible.

Keep written log.

If you speak to the Council they will tell you the same. It is worth sending a letter to have a record of the first report.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pollution/air-pollution/smoke/bonfires.html

If you can prove that they are burning more than just garden waste - you mentioned tyres - this is illegal and enforcement can be taken if there is proof.

Make notes of the smells in your log.

The problem is getting the Environmental Control people out at the right time.

The link is quite comprehensive and worth reading.

Hi,

Video it, and post online. Shame the council into action.

Hi,

I think this is your best hope. Take matters into your own hands, always works for me. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Archived