Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

Anyone else bothered by this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

Being a left winger, I have a particular interest in stories like this, and I would imagine there are a lot on here with similar views.

But what about the rest of you ?

Do you think this is unacceptable ?

Are you indifferent ?

Or would you be happy for such practices to be rolled out for other events/services ?

Shocking.

Public money raised from income taxes & VAT to fund a party for the largest land monopolist. People who pay such taxes when not part of the structurally unemployed forced to work for their dole and denied income for their labour a said party, a party they have funded themselves!

That sounds like a pretty grim deal, having lavished so much on that event there's no good reason not to pay these people a decent remuneration for their efforts.

The work program serves no useful purpose and should be scrapped, and to call those youngsters apprentices is just taking the pee to be honest.

Your telling me they couldn't find a couple of hundred unemployed folk with a 20min walk ? Awful. That said you might find that the stewards on the payroll didnt have a much better deal, but at least they got paid and least they had a choice.

Very poor all round.

Anyone else bothered by this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

Being a left winger, I have a particular interest in stories like this, and I would imagine there are a lot on here with similar views.

But what about the rest of you ?

Do you think this is unacceptable ?

Are you indifferent ?

Or would you be happy for such practices to be rolled out for other events/services ?

A good idea but badly executed, this kind of thing should be more widely used, although it should have been local people and no one should have been expected to sleep rough.

Up to 30 jobseekers and another 50 people on apprentice wages were taken to London by coach from Bristol, Bath and Plymouth as part of the government's Work Programme.

It’s unbelievable that some idiot would bus people in from these locations instead of using London unemployed.

Abi Levitt, director of development services at the charity, said: "We have been unable to verify the accuracy of the situation with either the people on work experience or the business concerned.

Probably the only true statement in the article!

A good idea but badly executed, this kind of thing should be more widely used, although it should have been local people and no one should have been expected to sleep rough.

It’s unbelievable that some idiot would bus people in from these locations instead of using London unemployed.

how many more industries do you want to ruin with these stupid ideas ?first you want road sweepers now security staff (watch your job xenia:hihi:) what next ?

That is truly disgusting, and provides a real contrast to the opulence of the occassion. I wonder if this goes on a lot more but is unreported and hidden away?

The contract with these cheapskate exploiters Close Protection UK should be terminated, as I assume that they will be used in the Olympics.

"This is an unfortunate set of circumstances but not lack of care on the part of CPUK." Lying toerags.

Archived