Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

I don't want to upset your rant but the events weren't funded by the taxpayer, so none of you unemployment benefit went to paying for it.

Their may have been some private funding, but who paid for the policing? To say the event wasn't paid for by the tax payer is ridiculous.

This article from the Guardian confirms that the Thames diamond jubilee pageant cost over £10 million and that most of the bill, for the rest of the weekends celebrations will be footed by the tax payer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/05/diamond-jubilee-taxpayer-foot-bill?newsfeed=true

And you believe that you know something about me do you?

That would certainly be a case of the blind leading the blind. At least if everyone else were as loony as you.

From what you post it's my honest believe that you're completely barking mad. I'm not entirely sure if you're a well off landlord, up to your eyeballs in buy-to-let debt or just a bouncer in the security industry with delusions of grandeur, but either way your economic and political understanding and analysis leaves a lot to be desired as far as I can see. And in addition to that you seem to struggle to understand why different people disagree with you, you can only see two groups, those who agree with you (a very lonely group with just you in it) and everyone else, who you seem to think all believe the same thing...

For clarification, I am very well off, massive pension pot, rented out paid for property portfolio. Still work to fund the cruises. Too old to bounce. My economic and political understanding an analysis is based on experience, not the latest manifesto. I actually am quite respectful to people who disagree with me unless they are abusive. Then I reply in kind.

Their may have been some private funding, but who paid for the policing? To say the event wasn't paid for by the tax payer is ridiculous.

This article from the Guardian confirms that the Thames diamond jubilee pageant cost over £10 million and that most of the bill, for the rest of the weekends celebrations will be footed by the tax payer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/05/diamond-jubilee-taxpayer-foot-bill?newsfeed=true

I would normally come down on the side of the employer, in this occassion they should be prosecuted for fraud.

For clarification, I am very well off, massive pension pot, rented out paid for property portfolio. Still work to fund the cruises. Too old to bounce. My economic and political understanding an analysis is based on experience, not the latest manifesto. I actually am quite respectful to people who disagree with me unless they are abusive. Then I reply in kind.

Not from what I've seen, you're abrasive and dismissive of people who disagree with you and rather full of your own success. That's how it comes across anyway.

Not from what I've seen, you're abrasive and dismissive of people who disagree with you and rather full of your own success. That's how it comes across anyway.

Well thats not whats intended, have a cigar.

I would normally come down on the side of the employer, in this occassion they should be prosecuted for fraud.

They didn't commit any fraud did they? Did I miss another article? :suspect:

They just took part in a government scheme, which should be scrapped. It wasn't the employer coercing people into the work, it was Job Centre Plus.

Maybe if the claims some of them were promised to be paid were true, that could be fraud.

I never argue, I debate as is the nature of this wonderful forum and rather than blindly stick to my guns I also have the presence of mind to concede and on this occasion I do.

I didn't mean argue in a bad way, debate and argument can be the same thing, in a debate you have to make an argument for a point of view.

Of course the level of unemployment now is much higher than is desirable, and in particular the length of unemployment for individuals, which should ideally be very short so as to avoid causing personal suffering whilst keeping the economy fluid.

Anyone else bothered by this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

Being a left winger, I have a particular interest in stories like this, and I would imagine there are a lot on here with similar views.

But what about the rest of you ?

Do you think this is unacceptable ?

Are you indifferent ?

Or would you be happy for such practices to be rolled out for other events/services ?

I think this is really wrong.

However, its a bit rich coming from the Guardian which is well known for NOT paying their work experience people anything (whilst people like P. Toynbee get six figure salaries!) is it not?

They didn't commit any fraud did they? Did I miss another article? :suspect:

They just took part in a government scheme, which should be scrapped. It wasn't the employer coercing people into the work, it was Job Centre Plus.

Maybe if the claims some of them were promised to be paid were true, that could be fraud.

Assuming they charged for thier services and the buyer expected that the staff they deployed would be paid, then they have acted fraudulently.

Assuming they charged for thier services and the buyer expected that the staff they deployed would be paid, then they have acted fraudulently.

I doubt it was specified in the contract. After all, the government was the buyer & they also run the scheme that allows them to use slave labour, they probably suggested it.

This part may be fraud...

Both stewards said they were originally told they would be paid. But when they got to the coach on Saturday night, they said, they were told that the work would be unpaid and that if they did not accept it they would not be considered for well-paid work at the Olympics.

Archived