Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

They were not unpaid workers, they are paid by the state via benefits.

What a stupid comment. They are unemployed. They get benefits whether they work or not. They had to do this work for the same money they receive when they don't work. Ergo, they were unpaid. And they had to sleep under a bridge. This is 2012.

i wonder if they got double time for working the bank holiday:huh:

Dunno. I have taken time off work to volunteer to steward at events before. Used my own annual leave, UNPAID, no subsidy from the state.

The sooner the long term habitual jobless realise that it is up to them to go out and make the effort to find work because work will not necessarily come to them, the better. Though I do not agree with bussing them in to make them sleep on the streets the night before. Digs should have been provided. Now they have shown some effort and willing though, next time there is a profit making event like a concert, they may get a call for proper paid work. Getting your foot in the door is always half the battle to employment, these 30 people have just done that.

--

The key word here is volunteered which is not what the article is about.

They could have refused. Then they would have had to get a real job if benefits were withdrawn. But they don't want to do that do they now, not while they're on the guaranteed taxpayer payroll aka benefits.

So many questions to answer as a result of this report

- Why were they bussed in from Bristol instead of using local people?

- Were they forced to sleep under a bridge?

- Were they denied access to changing facilities?

- Were they denied access to food and toilets?

- Were they lied to about it being paid work?

- Were they threatened with missing out on other work if they refused?

They could have refused. Then they would have had to get a real job if benefits were withdrawn. But they don't want to do that do they now, not while they're on the guaranteed taxpayer payroll aka benefits.

If they paid people to do the work in the first place, they wouldn't be unemployed.

This is slavery, pure and simple.

Archived