Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

Apparently some of them were counting the experience towards a GNVQ in 'crowd management' to ready them for more work at the Olympics :hihi:

And the Jobcentre will be paying £1000s for them to gain that qualification...

They'll pay £800 for somebody to get a CSCS card so that they can work on a building site.

The exploited jobseekers were bussed into London to work for no pay, with no accommodation and denied access to a toilet for 24 hours.

They were provided accomodation, with the exception of this group who were accidentally not picked up. I've heard nothing about them being denied toilet facilities, although I guess if you stay under a bridge there won't be any.

They were provided accomodation, with the exception of this group who were accidentally not picked up. I've heard nothing about them being denied toilet facilities, although I guess if you stay under a bridge there won't be any.

Perhaps you might care to click on the link to the newspaper report in the very first post of this thread, for more information?

Two unamed stewards revealed that they had no access to toilet facilities for 24 hours.

The 'accommodation' provided was a swampy campsite, and the tents were unuseable as they were soaking wet inside (the site was just mud and rain).

Perhaps you might care to click on the link to the newspaper report in the very first post of this thread, for more information?

Two unamed stewards revealed that they had no access to toilet facilities for 24 hours.

The 'accommodation' provided was a swampy campsite, and the tents were unuseable as they were soaking wet inside (the site was just mud and rain).

Why didn't they just go home then like anyone with an ounce of common sense would?

Why didn't they just go home then like anyone with an ounce of common sense would?

Perhaps they should have just rang for their chauffeur to pick them up in the limousine???

Perhaps they couldn't just go home because home was over 100 miles away, in Bristol? And they couldn't afford, being long term unemployed, the transport costs?

Prescott urges probe into claims jobseekers were bussed into capital to work as unpaid stewards during Jubilee pageant and forced to camp at London Bridge

Workers claim they had to change in public, had no access to a toilet, and were taken to a swamp-like campsite at the end of their 14-hour shift

Former deputy prime minister claims the government is presiding over the establishment of 'labour camps'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154903/Lord-Prescott-urges-probe-claims-jobseekers-bussed-capital-work-unpaid-stewards.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Even the Daily Mail has picked up the story now, this one is just going to grow and grow...

Because they had the threat of not obtaining the qualification they were going for held over them.

The more I learn about this disgusting con, the more angry I become. £50 for a polo shirt! Who are they kidding? In other countries people would have taken to the streets. Taking money from the public purse and giving it to these people is not just irresponsible, it is CRIMINAL. It is not just the likes of CPuk and A4E that should be under investigation it is the politicians who are dishing out the spoils to them!

It's non of the buyers business what contracts or arrangements the staff have with their employer.

I am not so sure, many tenders ask for a full breakdown of costs, to explain the price being charged. I am certain that is pretty standard in the security industry. If that question has been asked and the wages cost included this company is acting fraudulently.

At the end of the day, and I say this as a unrepentant tory, this is wrong, to treat people in this way is unforgiveable.

Archived