Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

So many questions to answer as a result of this report

- Why were they bussed in from Bristol instead of using local people?

- Were they forced to sleep under a bridge?

- Were they denied access to changing facilities?

- Were they denied access to food and toilets?

- Were they lied to about it being paid work?

- Were they threatened with missing out on other work if they refused?

Two of the unfortunate 'volunteers' who spoke out said that they:

"had to change into security gear in public, had no access to toilets for 24 hours, and were taken to a swampy campsite outside London after working a 14-hour shift in the pouring rain on the banks of the Thames on Sunday".

So they will have had to defecate in bushes like animals.

Anyone else bothered by this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

Being a left winger, I have a particular interest in stories like this, and I would imagine there are a lot on here with similar views.

But what about the rest of you ?

Do you think this is unacceptable ?

Are you indifferent ?

Or would you be happy for such practices to be rolled out for other events/services ?

I hadn't heard about this.This was a disgrace,and no i'm not happy for that sort of practice to continue.

What a stupid comment. They are unemployed. They get benefits whether they work or not. They had to do this work for the same money they receive when they don't work. Ergo, they were unpaid. And they had to sleep under a bridge. This is 2012.

Interesting thought though.

I work and I get paid for it. People on benefits get paid regardless yet when put in a position to do some work it's an outrage that they aren't receiving more pay. A simplistic view I know but why if they are already receiving money for doing nothing should they receive more for working?

There's many a thread on here where the claimants are branded as scroungers and worse yet when they are made to do something they're defended.

Two of the unfortunate 'volunteers' who spoke out said that they:

"had to change into security gear in public, had no access to toilets for 24 hours, and were taken to a swampy campsite outside London after working a 14-hour shift in the pouring rain on the banks of the Thames on Sunday".

So they will have had to defecate in bushes like animals.

A walk through many areas in Sheffield and countless other towns and cities will treat your nasal passages to the aroma of stale urine.

Whats the problem? These people now have a CV that says they have been involved in the security and safety of a major public event, also they have progressed in their intention to obtain NVQ.

I think the company should be praised in providing the transport, uniforms training etc. I hope those who had the experience gain from it and it helps them find regular work.

Whats the alternaive, sit on your backside feeling sorry for yourself?

Well done to all involved.

Giving the unemployed the opportunity to pay back something to the society that supports them isn’t slavery or in any way a bad thing.

They should consider themselves grateful to be given such an opportunity; they could always refuse to help the society that supports them and refuse to accept support from society. But to accept support whilst refusing to to help the society that supports them would make them closer to parasites than people.

From the link it would appear they didn't have to do it and they wouldn't have lost their benefits, so well done all those that for volunteered.

The firm said it had spent considerable resources on training and equipment that stewards could keep and that the experience was voluntary and did not affect jobseekers keeping their benefits.

the company should be ashamed of themselves if this is true!

they would have had to provide uniforms, licenses and training anyway, and if they would have used locals they would not have had to provide any transport. it sounds to me like it was very badly organized on their part and no thought was put in to arrrival times of staff and event times and that people would need somewhere to stay.

while id agree they should be praised for giving the unemployed an opportunity, i dont think they have gone the correct way about it and from initial reports it seems they have treated them very badly indeed.

Giving the unemployed the opportunity to pay back something to the society that supports them isn’t slavery or in any way a bad thing.

They should consider themselves grateful to be given such an opportunity; they could always refuse to help the society that supports them and refuse to accept support from society. But to accept support whilst refusing to to help the society that supports them would make them closer to parasites than people.

From the link it would appear they didn't have to do it and they wouldn't have lost their benefits, so well done all those that for volunteered.

i dont think this a debate about the gratefullness for the opportunity, its more about how they were treated when they got there to be honest.

I am with you to a point,that is with regard to future oppertunities and contributing to society,but certainly not to the degree that they had to sleep outside and had no access to toilets.Its appalling to treat people like that,most unemployed people have not chosen to be in that position,they have had no choice.

Archived