Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

Yet according to the paper there was never a danger of losing benefits and who's to say that sleeping arrangements were not explained at the start or uncharacteristically for SF do we simply go with a newspaper report.

but thats all we CAN go on, whether in agreement or disagreement, none of us are in charge of it, or involved, just like most subjects on here we go with the little scraps of info we can get

whether explained or not, making the unemployed sleep rough in 2012 stinks

i dont think this a debate about the gratefullness for the opportunity, its more about how they were treated when they got there to be honest.

What? had to get changed on a bus or in the open air, Oh the humanity!!!!

Two of the unfortunate 'volunteers' who spoke out said that they:

"had to change into security gear in public, had no access to toilets for 24 hours, and were taken to a swampy campsite outside London after working a 14-hour shift in the pouring rain on the banks of the Thames on Sunday".

So they will have had to defecate in bushes like animals.

There are toilets on campsites.

but thats all we CAN go on, whether in agreement or disagreement, none of us are in charge of it, or involved, just like most subjects on here we go with the little scraps of info we can get

Might give the the kick up the jacksy necessary for them to start work.

Might give the the kick up the jacksy necessary for them to start work.

maybe a lot of em are looking for work, dying to work and couldve done with "real" paid work instead of being humiliated with a charade?

But it's reported they were not forced into doing anything if we are to believe the paper. We can't pick out the bits that we think unfair yet ignore the fact that they weren't conscripts.

But it's reported they were not forced into doing anything if we are to believe the paper. We can't pick out the bits that we think unfair yet ignore the fact that they weren't conscripts.

i think with most of these government schemes theres one way of saying how it works and one how it actually works

i think generally there is a bit of coertion, otherwise they WOULDNT get these layabouts to work and their ideas fall flat

Dunno. I have taken time off work to volunteer to steward at events before. Used my own annual leave, UNPAID, no subsidy from the state.

The sooner the long term habitual jobless realise that it is up to them to go out and make the effort to find work because work will not necessarily come to them, the better. Though I do not agree with bussing them in to make them sleep on the streets the night before. Digs should have been provided. Now they have shown some effort and willing though, next time there is a profit making event like a concert, they may get a call for proper paid work. Getting your foot in the door is always half the battle to employment, these 30 people have just done that.

--

Rubbish. The long term jobless don't need to be made into slaves!

...they WOULDNT get these layabouts to work and their ideas fall flat

Didn't you also say

maybe a lot of em are looking for work, dying to work and couldve done with "real" paid work instead of being humiliated with a charade?

So what are they? Layabouts or looking for work?

Archived