Belief and immersion in fiction novels..

the difference is in your case illusory:)

Can you just confirm which part of my post his was in response to? I mentioned a few different things and you quoted the whole lot

by "the difference is illusory" do you mean I'm imagining there's a difference?

(not being funny with you, just trying to make sense of your response)

Do they mean believe in the content matter of the book (i.e. things that go bump in the night!) or believe in the characterisation and plotting? If the former they are talking crap if the latter then they are spot on!

Do they mean believe in the content matter of the book (i.e. things that go bump in the night!) or believe in the characterisation and plotting? If the former they are talking crap if the latter then they are spot on!

What they said was that for them to enjoy a ghost story, they would have to believe that ghosts exist.

When I read a fiction novel (Sci-fi, horror or fantasy) I don't BELIEVE what I'm reading and I don't think you have to even believe it's possible, I just IMAGINE what I'm reading. Works well enough for me :thumbsup:

Example: The current series of novels I'm reading is set in the near future after the world's population has been decimated by a supernatural event. The world is run by a global atheist government known as "the Church" and religion is outlawed. This government uses magic to protect society from the supernatural menace at large. Within this setting there's a lot of detective, action, drama, love story etc.

I don't for one second believe a word of it and I thoroughly enjoy it.

A couple of slightly off topic but related points. When I watch Toy Story, I find I can totally acept it, only until the animated humans appear, as they do not look real enough. The toys look, sound and behave exactly as they should, to my mind. I don`t know how practical it would have been from a technical viewpoint to have combined real actors with animated toys,but I think it would have worked better.

Also I find the reality in Red Dwarf totally believable.

It's quite sad that a large proportion of the population totally dismiss science fiction and fantasy books straight away without giving them a chance, because they aren't believable.

I find that these genres are some of the most exciting and imaginative forms of fiction available, bringing ideas and scenarios up that really make you think and bring up highly relevant issues tht affect the world today.

For example, I've just finished 'Wool', A dystopian science fiction book set in the future where most of the world has been rendered inhabitable due to human influence. Something that could be possible if situations became out of control.

Archived