How much would it cost to live in this 10k wooden bungalow/cabin??

I first saw these about 8 years ago and the prices hasn't changed at all. Back then I remember thinking that if I had a little plot of land and no family commitments, I could quite happily live in it (if it was insulated and weather-treated). For just under £10,000 you get a small wooden bungalow/cabin with 3 main ground floor rooms + entrance/hallway + storage room/pantry + a loft bedroom space. The dimensions are available here.

It's a slot-together DIY construction job. My question is, does anyone know how much it would cost to live in it, including insulation, wood treatment, cost of land (at least 4 or 5 times bigger than the floor area of the building), fees and any extras you can think of.

Taking into consideration you'd (or I would, anyway) build it yourself and plumb it yourself, electrics are a maybe but not a must. Heating would be a wood stove or similar. No gas plumbing.

Why wouldn't you be allowed to do it?

For a start, there's bound to be some legislation somewhere that says you can't and the reasons already mentioned. I thought about doing something similar with a tent, much in the same way native americans used to do, you know, living off the land etc, but the government won't ever let you do that. No matter what you think or do, there will always be people looking to exploit and make money out of you.

No reason why you couldn't live in a timber building but the finnforest design would fail UK building regulations, they aren't designed to live in.

Timber framed building is becoming more popular because of it's green credentials - probably the most truly sustainable form of construction there is.

The biggest cost of any house nowadays is the land to build it on. If you don't already own an appropriate chunk of land, this wouldn't actually save you an awful lot on just buying a regular house.

If you can build and fit it yourself, it may well save you enough to be worth doing; but not the huge amounts that "cost £10,000" might lead you to believe.

Archived