How much would it cost to live in this 10k wooden bungalow/cabin??

You want to talk to a building regs person. You might find its legal (alot of holiday parks are going down the cabin route) but the problem is finding a suitable spot, and getting planning permission (and sorting out plumbing). That said, if you believe the press, practically every back garden in Slough has a shed stuffed full of immigrants, so although illegal as they haven't sought planning permission, it already goes on.

You might find planning permission easy to get in some places. I don't know, hence the first line if this post ;)

Which bits would it fail on?

At a glance I can see issues with insulation(there isn't any) and ventilation.

Fire risks especially when you have services installed.

I doubt the structure is up to much either but without knowing the spec I can't say for sure.

I'm not saying that these things couldn't be overcome but you'd have to change just about everything, to the point that there wouldn't be much left of the initially purchase.

There was a series on a few months ago called My Flatpack Home where people were building these chalets in the back garden for their oldies to live in, or get their adult kids out of their home. One couple even bought a house and demolished it to build a large detached flat pack. This was in England, btw.

I'm easily hyped by new trends, but would have lived in any of them! Although really, the one I most wanted was this .... http://www.simondale.net/house/ :)

At a glance I can see issues with insulation(there isn't any) and ventilation.

Fire risks especially when you have services installed.

I doubt the structure is up to much either but without knowing the spec I can't say for sure.

I'm not saying that these things couldn't be overcome but you'd have to change just about everything, to the point that there wouldn't be much left of the initially purchase.

It's a slot-together DIY construction job. My question is, does anyone know how much it would cost to live in it, including insulation, wood treatment

Like I said, I would insulate it. Add a few vents and those issues are covered. The wood treatment would include a fire retardant, I can't see the fire risks being much more than in any other house, then again, I don't know about building regs, which is one of the reasons for this thread.

There was a series on a few months ago called My Flatpack Home where people were building these chalets in the back garden for their oldies to live in, or get their adult kids out of their home. One couple even bought a house and demolished it to build a large detached flat pack. This was in England, btw.

I'm easily hyped by new trends, but would have lived in any of them! Although really, the one I most wanted was this .... http://www.simondale.net/house/ :)

oooooo I do like that one, I've always fancied a hobbit home

Love this sort of thing - fantastic.

You could also have a look at an old grand designs. Old wobbly head mccleud went to some protected woodland with this hippy lumberjack (who previously was living in a tent if I recall) and built his house from scratch with wood, mud, bits of string and anything else he had lying about. Has since extended and raised a family in it and said house is now a tourist attraction.

This bloke had to jump through some massive hoops with regards to planning permission and I think after a certain amount of time he has to knock the lot down, but it can be done. I'll see if I can find a link.

EDIT : http://www.Ben-law.co.uk , he's the chap.

Like I said, I would insulate it. Add a few vents and those issues are covered. The wood treatment would include a fire retardant, I can't see the fire risks being much more than in any other house, then again, I don't know about building regs, which is one of the reasons for this thread.

I'm not saying it can't be done but the amount of individual improvements you'd have to make to call that cabin a dwelling are massive.

Just to give you an idea just the wall build up alone would need to look something like this as opposed to a single outer leaf.

I'm not saying it can't be done but the amount of individual improvements you'd have to make to call that cabin a dwelling are massive.

Just to give you an idea just the wall build up alone would need to look something like this as opposed to a single outer leaf.

That doesn't look too excessive to be honest, apart from the bricks. If you replace the brick layer with the wood layer, that's more or less what I already had in mind.

Archived