Muslims Slaughter "Apostate" in Tunisia

A video was shown on Egyptian tv of a beheading of an Apostate in Tunisia (in this instance,for the crime of converting to Christianity and refusing to renounce it.) Sentenced to death and executed for changing faith.

It wasn`t shown for the glory but by the host who was visibly distraught (it is one of the worst things i have ever seen on the internet if not the worst) .

Tawfiq Okasha, the host, asks: "Is this Islam?

Does Islam call for this? How is Islam related to this matter?...These

are the images that are disseminated throughout the electronic media in

Europe and America…. Can you imagine?"

Then, in reference to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and Salafis, whose political influence has grown tremendously, he asks, "How are such people supposed to govern?"

Only the other day, a prominent Egyptian Salafi leader -- referring

to the canonical hadiths, including Muhammad's command, "Whoever leaves

his religion, kill him"

Historically Christianity has probably done the same or worse but when are the religious leaders going to change the text of Koran to stop 3rd world religious savages committing horrific acts like this because a book tells them to.

Obviously the majority of real Muslims will be as horrified as the rest of the world.

I will never go to Tunisia for a holiday.

when are the religious leaders going to change the text of Koran

The text will never be changed because, like the holy books of all religions, it is believed to be the word of God. The problem isn't what these books say but how they are interpreted and fundamentalists will always interpret them to suit their own ends.

This Man faced death with an astonishing strength and grace... that said... i find it beyond comprehension that You Tube will allow the showing of this disgusting act of brutality knowing fully what the content is and yet if someone wants to upload 'copyrighted' material or video of the naked human body, it is forbidden because it is deemed obscene...

when are the religious leaders going to change the text of Koran

The text will never be changed[/Quote]

The text of the Quran doesn't call for Christians to be killed, and has been changed in Islamic history in it's original Arabic form (and 'creatively' translated into other languages to fit the viewpoint of the translator).

because, like the holy books of all religions, it is believed to be the word of God.[/Quote]

Wrong.

The problem isn't what these books say but how they are interpreted and fundamentalists will always interpret them to suit their own ends.

I agree entirely.

A video was shown on Egyptian tv of a beheading of an Apostate in Tunisia (in this instance,for the crime of converting to Christianity and refusing to renounce it.) Sentenced to death and executed for changing faith.[/Quote]

I'm not 100% sure (I would have to check on this) but I'm not sure if converting to Christianity constitutes renouncing Islam. Christians are considered people of the book and part of the Islamic 'extended family', technically this means that they aren't unbelievers. Like I say I will have to check the details. Regardless this is horrific and the people responsible should be brought to account.

It wasn`t shown for the glory but by the host who was visibly distraught (it is one of the worst things i have ever seen on the internet if not the worst) .

Tawfiq Okasha, the host, asks: "Is this Islam?

Does Islam call for this? How is Islam related to this matter?...These

are the images that are disseminated throughout the electronic media in

Europe and America…. Can you imagine?"

Then, in reference to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and Salafis, whose political influence has grown tremendously, he asks, "How are such people supposed to govern?"[/Quote]

I think the fact that these questions are openly asked is good. I also think that he makes a good point, our vision of Islam in the west (as shown by most on this forum) is horribly skewed in many areas. The difficulty is that by us thinking 'Islam' is bad we are in danger of thinking of it as something to be removed, what we should actually be doing is talking to our Muslim friends and trying to change the religion from within - in line with the religion - that is, bringing those who call themselves Muslim but don't act like Muslims (usually the loud minority) to task and educating those that are in danger of following there example.

Only the other day, a prominent Egyptian Salafi leader -- referring

to the canonical hadiths, including Muhammad's command, "Whoever leaves

his religion, kill him"[/Quote]

One of the actual issues with Islam, as opposed to the majority of things we percieve to be Islam in the west, is that the Hadith, not the Quran, form a large part of Muslim law and there is a massive amount of internal politics about which Hadith are authentic. A good example of the problem this causes is the issue of stoning an adulteress, it's not in the Quran, it's based on Hadith, and this shouldn't override the Quranic teaching, but in some quarters it seems it does. These are the real issues of Islam that we should be engaging with.

Historically Christianity has probably done the same or worse[/Quote]

One of the difficulties with these discussions is that they sometimes become one against the other, really we should avoid such avenues.

but when are the religious leaders going to change the text of Koran to stop 3rd world religious savages committing horrific acts like this because a book tells them to.

Obviously the majority of real Muslims will be as horrified as the rest of the world[/Quote]

Agreed.

I will never go to Tunisia for a holiday.

Agreed.

Archived