The Fall Of Ebay

I once sold a cycle helmet through eBay, the day after I received a message from the buyer telling me not to send it out to him, if I'd not already, because he was going to be in may area the following day and he would be willing to pick it up.

I said no to him because, call me cynical, I wasn't having him scamming me by turning up to my house, giving me the money, me giving him the helmet and then him complaining to eBay a few weeks later saying that he hasn't received his helmet in the post, as officially aranged, and getting refunded while in posession of the helmet.

Distance Selling Regulations at a guess..the things that protect buyers...

Or Detailed Seller ratings - the stars you leave when leaving feedback, and one or 2 bad ones means sellers lose any discounts they might have had on eBays fees with Top Rated Seller status etc

I once sold a cycle helmet through eBay, the day after I received a message from the buyer telling me not to send it out to him, if I'd not already, because he was going to be in may area the following day and he would be willing to pick it up.

I said no to him because, call me cynical, I wasn't having him scamming me by turning up to my house, giving me the money, me giving him the helmet and then him complaining to eBay a few weeks later saying that he hasn't received his helmet in the post, as officially aranged, and getting refunded while in posession of the helmet.

And this is fine if you don't take payment via PayPal, always, always, take cash only for anything you have collected!

I don't us these sites myself but isn't there a site called the gumtree ... or even craigslist?

Gumtree is owned by Kijiji a subsidiary of Ebay and I believe that Ebay are also have something to do with craigslist. They just get everywhere!

Archived