Scholes Copice - a figment of my imagination?

Thanks so much to you all for the info on the column at Scholes Coppice. I must have been only 4 or 5 when mom (I guess) took me to see what I had thought to be a smoke stack of some description. I needed to know that I hadn't dreamed it up and I absolutely love the idea that it STILL exists to this day.

Thanks PopT for the historical rundown of Keppel's Column ...now I even know it's name! :thumbsup:

My Dad took me to Kepples column in about 1948 or 49, he had a cushion on the crossbar of his bike which I had to straddle.

It was one of the most uncomfortable journeys of my life, we lived at that time on Papermill Rd at Shiregreen, so in real terms it was simply a ride up Deep Lane, right at the top, and on to Kimberworth.

I can remember him having to pay a penny to go to the top, I think I was allowed with him for "nowt" being but a bairn!!

The view from the top was fantastic, the site had surely been picked in the first place because of this.

Thanks for the memories. I had forgotten that it was Woolly Wood and Deep Lane and Keppel's Column.

A question arises from the info from PopT. are the Keppel's that you gave details of ancestors of the George Keppel who's wife Mrs. Keppel was the mistress of King Edward V11 and ggrandmother of Camilla. ??????

Cynthia, Ontario.

Cynthia

In reply to your question about the connections between Camilla Parker Bowles(Formerly Camilla Rose Shand) the answer is yes.

Camilla is connected down the family lineage to William Coutts Keppel who was the 7th Earl of Albemarle 1832-1917.

Admiral Augustus Keppel was the 2nd Earl of Albemarle in the1780's when he fell into disgrace but was reinstated.

George Keppel's wife was Alice Frederica Edmonstone who was a very close friend of King Edward the 7th.

She was Camilla's Great Grandmother.

Camilla's ancestry is very mixed, she is descended from French, American, Canadian and even German family with some good royal connectionswhich are too complicated to post here.

I hope this answers your question. I could have just written yes but I thought this titbit might interest you.

Happy Days!

Thanks PopT for all your info- I have heard ofall those places .I even lived on Honeysuckle Rd Shiregreen for a while so that is probably why it seemed familiar. Brilliant this Forum isn't it Sputnik Boy - the forumers always put you right.

Originally posted by nanrobbo

Thanks PopT for all your info- I have heard ofall those places .I even lived on Honeysuckle Rd Shiregreen for a while so that is probably why it seemed familiar. Brilliant this Forum isn't it Sputnik Boy - the forumers always put you right.

You bet, nanrobbo! In fact, I did a 'Google search' last night and I came up with an absolutely glorious panoramic 'air shot' of Keppel's Column and the surrounding area. It's almost a 3-dimensional photograph and I've made it my desk-top picture. I can't recall the exact site that I got it from but it was contained within the items on the first Schole's Coppice page. I would suggest you take a look at the picture. It's amazing.

I don't know if this is a sign of 'getting old' (shudder at the thought) but my visit to this forum has awoken in me a desire to retrace some of my past as a youngster. Please understand, much of that past in Sheffield has almost become surreal in my mind. I left the country when in my early teens, not too long after my 'release' from Fulwood Cottage Homes.

Ori

Cynthiaginally posted by PopT [/i

Camilla's ancestry is very mixed, she is descended from French, American, Canadian and even German family with some good royal connectionswhich are too complicated to post here.

I hope this answers your question. I could have just written yes but I thought this titbit might interest you.

Happy Days!

Thanks for the info PopT, I found it very interesting. We do not know who our ancestors were until we start delving.

I found that through my paternal grandmothers ancestors we are connected to Lord Dudley & his concubine. Quote- 'A lewd woman'. That goes back to the late 1500s.

Cheers, Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

I was told that it was built by Admiral Keppel who used it as an observation tower to track deer for hunting. Makes sense as it is a fantastic view up that area. Years ago you could go up it but it is in need of restoration now but still worth a look

Originally posted by SputnikBoy

I seem to recall in the dim, distant past of my childhood a huge smoke stack looking affair - it was referred to as a tower, I believe - where one could climb to the top. It was located in an area known as Scoles Copice, although I'm not sure if I have the correct spelling. Did I dream up this place or did it- does it - exist?

If you go to the top of Grange Lane where it comes out near Thorpe Hesley (there is a chip shop on the corner on the right) and turn right (I think the road is called (New) Wortley Road), you will find Keppels Column a short distance along, on the left hand side.

It is clearly visible from the road and now stands just behind a new housing estate. I understand from a relative who lives in the area that there is a public footpath which leads to it but I have not personally tried to find this path.

I hope this is of some help to you. :)

Archived