Scholes Copice - a figment of my imagination?

I had forgotten all about scholes coppice and the column. My dad used to take me for a walk every Sunday, we lived at Firth Park, and this was one of the places we used to walk to. Climbed to the top many times. On the way home we often used to take a wrong turn and end up in a coal mine. Does anyone remember the coal mine in that area?

Originally posted by coddy

I had forgotten all about scholes coppice and the column. My dad used to take me for a walk every Sunday, we lived at Firth Park, and this was one of the places we used to walk to. Climbed to the top many times. On the way home we often used to take a wrong turn and end up in a coal mine. Does anyone remember the coal mine in that area?

How come you 'often' made a wrong turn ...wouldn't you have caught on after your first mistake? :P

Thanks for your post.

Originally posted by SputnikBoy

I seem to recall in the dim, distant past of my childhood a huge smoke stack looking affair - it was referred to as a tower, I believe - where one could climb to the top. It was located in an area known as Scoles Copice, although I'm not sure if I have the correct spelling. Did I dream up this place or did it- does it - exist?

It stands at Scholes, a small village between Sheffiled and Rotherham and can be clearly seen from Ecclesfield or Lower Shiregreen.

Take the Upper Wortley Road From Chapeltown.

Simmo

During the war my parents went to live in Deep Lane, Shiregreen, from where it was possible to see Keppel’s Column. We went there often, and many’s the time I climbed those steps. Half-way up there was an iron gate and a small room, although I don’t know what its purpose was. At the top there were high railings to prevent people from either falling over of jumping off — alhtough one or two did manage to jump off! The Wentworth Estate was not far from Keppel’s Column. There was an arch built (last time I saw it it was overgrown), ostensibly two inches wider than a horse-drawn carriage. There used to be a plaque there (since removed) that said it was built for a by Earl Fitzwilliam for a bet — his horseman against the proclaimed best in Yorkshire. The winner had to clear the arch without scraping the carriage. The arch had a half-mile run-up to it.

The plaque used to tell people that Earl Fitwilliam lost his bet. The best horseman in Yorkshire was indeed the best! The carriage was drawn by six horses.

The below address presents a beautiful and stunning ariel photograph of Keppel’s Column and Keppel’s Field. It was photographed in 2004 by Kenny Fox. I’m currently using this magnificent picture as my desktop background. Hope it works for the rest of you. Please ...tell me if it does.

http://www.holisticfraternity.co.uk/Keppels.html

I used to walk from shiregreen to kepples column almost every sunday with mum and dad but never saw it open. The best i got was a leg up from my bro to the bit that sticks out at the bottom. We also used to go into the coppice where there was a proper chestnut tree and throw sticks up in order to knock them off the branches. My bro lives on the esate at the bottom and says the chestnut tree is still there.

Archived