Scholes Copice - a figment of my imagination?

In the late 40's when I was about nine or ten, I used to make a load of "folded paper aeroplanes" Walk all the way to Scholes from Shiregreen ...Take them to the top of the column and fly them..Some of them went miles....(little things please little minds my Mum used to say)

In the late 40's when I was about nine or ten, I used to make a load of "folded paper aeroplanes" Walk all the way to Scholes from Shiregreen ...Take them to the top of the column and fly them..Some of them went miles....(little things please little minds my Mum used to say)
i agree we used to walk from carbrook and go to the top and eat our sandwiches and then walk home

They are bell pits. I believe they go back to medieval times and were small coal mines. The people dug down the spoil becoming the hill, and opened out a bell shaped hole underground. When they had mined the coal they moved onto the next hole probably before it became too dangerous. I remember from school we were taught about the monks from the nearby Kirkstead abbey who mined coal in this way. You can find the humps all over that area.

• 1 year later...
Scholes coppice was indeed known as Keppels column. some reffered to it as scholes coppice and some as Keppels column.

indeed there are two roads named after this, Keppel rd in shiregreen (where I was brought up), and Keppel rd in Kimberworth. the column was a popular place to aim for as kids on our bikes. have spent many a sunday cycling from lower shiregreen up to scholes coppice during the late 60s and early 70s. we used to go through wooley woods which at the time was totally covered in Bluebells.:hihi: Happy memories

scholes coppice was the wood around kepples column i used go their collecting cnestnuts

it was an old penny to go up the column and the steps were well worn in them days

lived at

firth park at that time walked over bellhouse road then up grange lane that was in the war time

scholes coppice was the wood around kepples column i used go their collecting cnestnuts

it was an old penny to go up the column and the steps were well worn in them days

lived at

firth park at that time walked over bellhouse road then up grange lane that was in the war time

Thanks for bumping up this old thread. This gives newcomers to the board the opportunity to share their memories of Scholes Coppice and the column known as Keppell's. I'm still fascinated by a monolith I was taken to as a child that still stands both in my memory and in actuality.

Any updates re its restoration or its dismantling?

Archived