Hillsborough chuck wagon burnt down 1970s

Weird this, I drive past loads and often think about what happened and why the burnt out shell has been left in situ for all these years. It was actually called chuck ranch and burnt down in the early 1980s

As Wonder Boy wrote it was called the Chuck Ranch, and was owned by a Mr M. Tanwir (who had a superb 'E' Type Jaguar coupé). The chargrilled burgers were delicious, and reasonably priced. It burned down around 1985 - here is a link to a 1990s photo on the picturesheffield.com website, showing the blackened remains centre-right. As bullerboY wrote the property might not have been insured, and it would be expensive to rebuild (bearing in mind that some businesses in Holme Lane don't seem to have enjoyed much prosperity in recent times, with many being empty and neglected for years - such as No 120, though now this is occupied again).

what was it beforehand?? and wouldnt the council push for renovation its such an eyesore!!
In the 1950s it was Boulter's chemists. When Edwin Boulter retired in c. 1962 he sold the business (at 68 Holme Lane) to Charlie Clough who had another chemist's shop further up Holme Lane on the corner of Loxley New Road (this disappeared when the one-way system was built in 1969). The 1968 directory still shows both branches of Clough's but later (until about 1976 or so) No 68 was a carpet shop "Holme Lane Furnishers".

As Wonder Boy wrote it was called the Chuck Ranch, and was owned by a Mr M. Tanwir (who had a superb 'E' Type Jaguar coupé). The chargrilled burgers were delicious, and reasonably priced. It burned down around 1985 - here is a link to a 1990s photo on the picturesheffield.com website, showing the blackened remains centre-right. As bullerboY wrote the property might not have been insured, and it would be expensive to rebuild (bearing in mind that some businesses in Holme Lane don't seem to have enjoyed much prosperity in recent times, with many being empty and neglected for years - such as No 120, though now this is occupied again).In the 1950s it was Boulter's chemists. When Edwin Boulter retired in c. 1962 he sold the business (at 68 Holme Lane) to Charlie Clough who had another chemist's shop further up Holme Lane on the corner of Loxley New Road (this disappeared when the one-way system was built in 1969). The 1968 directory still shows both branches of Clough's but later (until about 1976 or so) No 68 was a carpet shop "Holme Lane Furnishers".
Can you remember the weighing machine outside Cloughs Chemists on the corner of Loxley New Rd?

Can anyone remember the Chuck wagon on holme lane hillsborough?? it burnt down but what year? any memories of who owned it and any info on the place welcome .

Hello, my mum was the cleaner at "The Ranch" (as she called it) and turned up for work one morning to find the place had burnt down. The view at the time was that the fire had been set deliberately.

I have many memories of the shop when it was Boulter's Chemist - my mother's family home was 2 Haden Street, just across the road, so we went in there often. I can still remember the lovely smell in there - Woods of Windsor soaps etc - and I loved going in and looking at all they had on sale - not when young Mr Boulter was around though! I remember both young and old Messrs Boulter; young Mr Boulter was in charge of the shop and his father, retired by that time, was only there occasionally. I was very much in awe of young Mr Boulter, because he was very po-faced and quite stern. The shop, although it had living accommodation behind, was a "lock-up" and no-one actually lived on the premises. There was also an assistant called Barbara Carter. Barbara was lovely and had dark curly hair, which she wore piled up on the top of her head. When I was a little girl, I thought she was SO glamorous and sophisticated in her white overall and bright lipstick.

I remember one occasion when Barbara was frightened out of her wits and screamed so loudly that we heard her from across the road. She was going into the back of the shop and was shocked to see a snake curled up at the bottom of the stairs. My mother went across to deal with it and I believe the locals knew to whom it belonged, apparently it had escaped quite some time before.

I also remember the Cloughs very well - my family lived in Harrison Road, so we used Cloughs a lot too. I thought the Cloughs very posh, but liked them a lot, both Mr and Mrs Clough were lovely people. Mrs Clough had very dark hair, was always beautifully made up, wore elegant clothes and was very attractive. Mr Clough had very tightly curled, wavy hair, which I think he controlled with Brylcreem or the like, it always looked shiny. They had two sons, one younger than me and one older, one of them was called Elton. The older boy went to De La Salle and I used to see him at the bus stop at the bottom of Ball Rd in the mornings.

At that time there were several shops on Holme Lane just before Ball Road. Ones I remember were Burgons Grocers on the corner (later, Gowers and Burgons). Nixons' Wool Shop and Abrahams' Newsagent. I think all of them have now been converted in to houses.

At the bottom of Loxley New Road were Bottoms' Butchers (they had non-indentical twin girls, known as "Bottoms Twins"), Wards General Store - they sold delicious home-made Vimto lollies, and Huttons' Pet Shop.

Edited by susie1