If you're not well enough to go to work..

I've only ever called in sick and then gone out that evening once however I was practically forced out by my parents and friends.

The reason I called in sick was my grandad had died and I was particularly close to him. It hit me hard and I was in a daze. I'd called in sick because I just really didn't want to see anyone.

My parents were worried as I was the complete polar opposite to my normal self and asked my mates to come and take me out.

Someone from work (the person who'd covered my shift in the day) apparently spotted me and tried to grass me up to my manager who knew about my situation.

But ordinarily if I was too ill to work that day then I wouldn't go out, especially a work-related do & if I were a manager and someone turned up to a work function after calling in sick, I'd tell them to be in my office in the morning and them to leave the function.

A good few years ago I had a job at a well known Sheffield city centre nightclub.

I was due to start my shift at 10pm so I went out for a few drinks with my mates about 6pm. As 10pm approached I was having a great time so I phoned in sick.

I then got that hammered that we all decided to go clubbing, to the nightclub where I was supposed to be at work. In my drunken state I somehow thought I was able to hide in the shadows and not been seen.

Got a call the next day. Fired.

My thoughts exactly!!!

You wouldn't believe me if I told you the nature of the ailment...lets just say it was foot related, however they were perfectly able to wear heals and dance the night away. To say we were seething when we saw the pics the following day is an understatement!

Moral of the story??

Alcohol is the best painkiller.

Before you hand her the P45 give her a tip, tell her instead of calling in sick next time just come to work pi**ed

A good few years ago I had a job at a well known Sheffield city centre nightclub.

I was due to start my shift at 10pm so I went out for a few drinks with my mates about 6pm. As 10pm approached I was having a great time so I phoned in sick.

I then got that hammered that we all decided to go clubbing, to the nightclub where I was supposed to be at work. In my drunken state I somehow thought I was able to hide in the shadows and not been seen.

Got a call the next day. Fired.

Hahaha, that's brilliant!! :hihi:

you sound like yr talking to yr kids ie. if your not well enough to go to school you cant play out later

maybe the person felt better later that night so why shouldnt he are she go to a works do..

Evidentially she did...I just think it looks bad

She perhaps felt the need to spend all day getting ready.... Doing her hair and makeup and spending an age getting dressed to the nine's in time for the big entrance.....

Seriously though, I used to be a head of department and something like that would have really really annoyed me.

I've only ever called in sick and then gone out that evening once however I was practically forced out by my parents and friends.

The reason I called in sick was my grandad had died and I was particularly close to him. It hit me hard and I was in a daze. I'd called in sick because I just really didn't want to see anyone.

My parents were worried as I was the complete polar opposite to my normal self and asked my mates to come and take me out.

Someone from work (the person who'd covered my shift in the day) apparently spotted me and tried to grass me up to my manager who knew about my situation.

But ordinarily if I was too ill to work that day then I wouldn't go out, especially a work-related do & if I were a manager and someone turned up to a work function after calling in sick, I'd tell them to be in my office in the morning and them to leave the function.

Bereavement is a different issue entirely, especially if you had called out and had explained it as such. This was a decision between you and your boss, not a colleague. It just made them look bad and not you.

Bereavement is a different issue entirely, especially if you had called out and had explained it as such. This was a decision between you and your boss, not a colleague. It just made them look bad and not you.

My boss was fully aware of the situation and had already shifted my deadlines where he could to lighten my workload. However as it was a private matter, none of my colleagues were informed of why I was getting "preferencial" treatment until I told them personally.

Archived