White Bear Ecclesfield - not closing down any more.

Bruno

It is not a great surprise that the White Bear is about to close yet again but this time; it seems, for the last time. This demonstrates again that operating and managing a pub is far from an easy task with the necessary crippling overheads that are made even worse by the vastly inflated fees charged by others providing services to the pub trade who think they are indispensable. With the challenges facing the pub industry at present it is a certainty that many other pubs will follow in the footsteps of the White Bear.

Originally posted by freespirit

It is not a great surprise that the White Bear is about to close yet again but this time; it seems, for the last time. This demonstrates again that operating and managing a pub is far from an easy task with the necessary crippling overheads that are made even worse by the vastly inflated fees charged by others providing services to the pub trade who think they are indispensable. With the challenges facing the pub industry at present it is a certainty that many other pubs will follow in the footsteps of the White Bear.

Totally agree, as with these type of pubs, Brewerys ask extortionate rent, then there's business rate, gas and electric is charged at a higher rate than domestic customers are, and then the brewerys want you to purchase only thier product at a higher rate than as such as Beer Express etc, on top of this if you employ someone such as Bar Staff you have to make sure they are adequately insured along with the general public that visit your premises. and all this before you get anyone in your pub.

Then we get to "how do we get people into the pub" let's take SKY for example, they charge 10 times more than a home domestic user, these days most people tend to be enticed into venues that have entertainment on, which has to be paid for as the entertainer has his/her runing costs of his/her own, all across the entertainment industry people charge various fee's.

More the case of the owners of the pub, a well known pub company, selling it to a private company to develop, rather than the pub going under because it hasn't been doing too well.

Whenever you are renting a pub, as most publicans are, you are at the mercy of the pub company and what they plan to do. If you're lucky then you have a long lease that simply has annual rent reviews, if you're unlucky then you have a short term one and anything could happen after that. I've had two pubs with short leases and the sword of Damacles is forever hanging over your head. You're always waiting for the phone call from the brewery to tell you what your future will hold.

What also happens with some pub patrons as well is that they can really make a good go of running the place, and ingratiate themselves well with the locals and people who regularly go in the pub, and then the Brewery will hike the rent up so much that the couple can no longer afford it...

They did it to Mick and Cath that had the Crown and Glove (Top House) near us last year, and got some useless muppet in instead who instantly put the beer prices up, didn't do sandwiches on quiz nights like they used to, and changed the format of the quiz itself making it too hard... :loopy:

Consequently hardly anyone goes in nowadays, most of the regulars stopped, even we stopped going, we're regulars for the quiz in the Robin Hood nowadays on a Wednesday night.

well from reading these reports i am interested in how you are such good man for giving concern for the pub as i saw the brilliant changes from the white bear. it is a real disapointment for the people as for Martine and shelly which i guess they are the runners of the pub. i have give them the best wishes and hope they keep there heads up high and give them all the support that you are also showing to give. I hope they take on another pub such as one local and make it a success.

Sad to hear about the White Bear closing down. Ex-girlfriend is from Ecclesfield so had a few nights out round there - did someone say another boozer in the square had shut as well???

It wasn't a bad nightout round Ecclesfield but i always thought the best two boozers were the Travellers (before it turned into a young persons boozer:) and the one further up on the right on the way to Chap, can't remember the name of it. Have to say i preferred supping round High Green though.

Originally posted by told_pinz

Well hope fully you all go and have one last drink! i know i am. good luck to the Landlords :thumbsup:

I'll be DJing there tomorrow night. Good night to come down and have one!

Hey, its just occurred to me that I'll need to start thinking of where to move my Ecclesfield rock and roll operation to on a Friday night. Any suggestions anyone?

Archived