I saw a ghost last night

Originally Posted by Bypassblade View Post

Right I'm getting a wee bit sick of the pedants on this site, you started the bloody thread.

What on Earth are you talking about? This a discussion forum, the operative word being discussion. If you really feel that simple and genuine questions, presented in a civilised manner are offensive, then maybe you shouldn't take part.

If you don't want to answer a question then just say so, but winding yourself up by ignoring it and being asked again is just making you hostile.

Sorry rootsbooster I didn't say it was offensive I just don't see why I should justify my beliefs, I did not ignore anything I have other things to do so I do them, I need to rest daily so I come away from my laptop.

I didn't mean to sound offensive, so no offense intended, do you never get your cage rattled by something, I do as I have more important things going off at the moment in my life, keeping going is one of them.

As a matter of interest I came back to this forum as some sort of release valve & all the things I have going off, with me & I like it, I like the banter, it helps me to talk to folk & forget my worries for a few hours a day :)

Maybe it's the same dynamic I mention in my previous post? Namely, that people try and fit whatever they experience, in to the model of reality they currently hold to be true (that model may contain ghosts, and oozy-spooky stuff, or it may be more scientific, but the mental process of rationalisation is the same).

My take on it, is that we perceive the universe through the lens of our senses and minds. Often times the lens becomes dirty or distorted and we do not have clear and accurate picture of what's going on. In fact, you could say, we never have an accurate picture of what's going on, there is always some level of distortion.

I agree, but some distortions are more likely than others.

My seeing a shadow that I interpret as a ghost is more likely than a ghost being in my room. We can say this reasonably accurate because we know the mind is prone to playing tricks, we know it can get things wrong and is very powerful, so if it does get that interpretation wrong it can (as I found out) appear very real.

We don't know (that is we have no prrof, at all) that ghosts exist, so to conclude of the two possibilities that the distortion was a ghost is a bit silly when we take all the facts into consideration.

We don't know (that is we have no prrof, at all) that ghosts exist, so to conclude of the two possibilities that the distortion was a ghost is a bit silly when we take all the facts into consideration.

Is it required to conclude anything at all? Do we have a deep need to explain all our experience?

We could simply say to ourself, "I had this experience", and then make nothing more of it; not allowing the rationalisation process to kick in.

I don't know, it's just a suggestion. :)

I've had very strong experiences myself, of a 'super-natural' nature. I know how frantically the mind can rush to explain such things; and the bigger the gap between our experience, and our model of reality; the more frantic the mind is in it's need to rationalise.

All kinds of good things can come from this though; not least a better understanding of our own nature and the workings of our minds.

Is it required to conclude anything at all? Do we have a deep need to explain all our experience?

We could simply say to ourself, "I had this experience", and then make nothing more of it; not allowing the rationalisation process to kick in[/Quote]

We could, but that is very, very difficult to do. Most people, even those who think they have the ability to do that, are just rationilising that very ideal. To do it genuinly, really genuinly, means you either have some kind of brain damage or have not yet (or have eradicated) the notion of 'me' entirely. The first two would mean that there was no 'I' to say 'I had this experience' and the third, if it is even possible, is beyond the ability of most people.

I don't know, it's just a suggestion. :)[/Quote]

And that's what I asked for, so I'm not dismissing you in any way :)

I've had very strong experiences myself, of a 'super-natural' nature. I know how frantically the mind can rush to explain such things; and the bigger the gap between our experience, and our model of reality; the more frantic the mind is in it's need to rationalise[/Quote]

May ask what your experience was and what conclusion you drew from it?

All kinds of good things can come from this though; not least a better understanding of our own nature and the workings of our minds.

Totally agree.

Waldo

We could, but that is very, very difficult to do. Most people, even those who think they have the ability to do that, are just rationilising that very ideal. To do it genuinly, really genuinly, means you either have some kind of brain damage or have not yet (or have eradicated) the notion of 'me' entirely. The first two would mean that there was no 'I' to say 'I had this experience' and the third, if it is even possible, is beyond the ability of most people.

Btw, in relation to this there is an absolutely brilliant book, totally from the scientific perspective, about how our brain operates (well not about, but it does deal with it in some detail) when there is no 'self' present.

I really, really recommend it if you're into that kind of thing. It's here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Feeling-What-Happens-Consciousness/dp/0099288761

and is by this man...

http://www.ted.com/speakers/antonio_damasio.html

May ask what your experience was and what conclusion you drew from it?

You may...

My experiences, were at the time, terrifying; on reflection however, they were possibly the best things that have ever happened to me (they were the catalyst for dramatic change).

It wasn't so much what I experienced via sense perception; it was more perception in consciousness itself. Heightened awareness, and experience of other modes of reality (other that what we perceive through the medium of our senses), and also non-corporate entities. All of which, were as real to me as the physical reality I perceive around myself right now.

Very difficult, if not impossible, to explain in a way that would make sense and accurately communicate the experience.

Anyhow, on several occasions, things 'broke through' and affected tangible physical reality, in dramatic and undeniable ways.

As for conclusions; hard to say. I certainly felt my rational mind desperately trying to explain away what I was going through, to make sense of it all. It could not, and I now just accept that things happened which I am currently unable to explain, but which lead me deeper into inquiry regarding the nature of my own being / the universe.

In fact, perhaps the most significant conclusion; would be that all things which happen to us can be good, especially when they seem 'bad'; I have found this to be true elsewhere, with more mundane goings on in life. :)

Waldo

Btw, in relation to this there is an absolutely brilliant book, totally from the scientific perspective, about how our brain operates (well not about, but it does deal with it in some detail) when there is no 'self' present.

I really, really recommend it if you're into that kind of thing. It's here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Feeling-What-Happens-Consciousness/dp/0099288761

and is by this man...

http://www.ted.com/speakers/antonio_damasio.html

Looks interesting, thanks for links. :)

IF you didnt already know, the nature of the universe is holographic. Watch BBC Horizon documentary called "What is reality".

The reality is your are a hologram vibrating at around 7htz (shumann resonance). There are other dimensions, from my studies i have gathered that there are 11 dimensions in total.

Each vibrating at its own frequency.

The story of science

You are 99.999% empty space ^^

IF you watch this episode of the story of science to the end, Ghosts, and levitation are covered.

So you saw the spirit world, congrats, it does exist.

Why do you think coppers get psychic's in to solve difficult cases?

and you thought this stuff was hocus pocus!

So did i, until last year when when i had telepathic contact with the spirit world. :cool:

since that date, i have become an expert on freemasonry, illuminati, UFO's, The Holy Bible and all other things occult :wow:

Archived