Scottish independence and Re-designing the Union Flag?

I couldn't find a large union jack flag to bring back with me a few years ago to hang outside my house ,well many years ago, before all this on line buying, even the airport didn't sell them, I finely bought a union jack back In the US.

I couldn't find a large union jack flag to bring back with me a few years ago to hang outside my house ,well many years ago, before all this on line buying, even the airport didn't sell them, I finely bought a union jack back In the US.

You might like this comment.

I believe it is only a union jack if it is flown on a ship. If it is on land it is a union flag.

;)

You might like this comment.

I believe it is only a union jack if it is flown on a ship. If it is on land it is a union flag.

;)

Originally you were right, but over time the term Union Jack has now become accepted when referring to the Union flag.

I hope we don't acheive independance.

Romantically my heart says 'independance', but I'm sure that if this did occur Scotland would be bankrupt very quickly.

I hope we don't acheive independance.

If Scotland keeps the Pound, which is managed from the bank of England, how can they be indepenent?

So if ever the Scots achieve their full independence from the UK, will we have to re-design the Union Flag without the blue saltire?

And will England, Wales and Scotland be yet more little nations struggling at the Olympics?

If the Scots go for independance, where are they going to get the money to pay us back for the RBS debackle, they think they will get North Sea oil but they have another think coming. We spend more money per head on the Scots than we do on ourselves, why is beyond me. Let the skirt wearing men go their own way then the will gang up with the French, another whinging lot.

As regards possibly losing the "blue x" from the Union flag should Scotland choose independence, an "expert" yesterday explained that because the original design stemmed from the reign of James I - who was also James VI of Scotland - the design would not alter.

Similarly, there is no direct "reference" to Wales in the flag because, at the time, Wales was regarded as "part of England"....

Archived