Has the time come to abolish the pint in favour of the Litre?

What size should a standard can of beer be?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What size should a standard can of beer be?

• A pint!
    • A litre!
    • Hiccup.
    • Don't know.

http://www.beveragedaily.com/Processing-Packaging/Rexam-s-two-piece-one-litre-beer-can-hits-Western-Europe

Carlsberg has released a new king size beer can in Germany that brings Rexam’s two-piece one litre can into Western Europe for the first time.

Having just supped a Litre of Lithuanian beer, I reckon these Litre tinnies are the future.

I'm sick and tired of the tiny cans commonly available in the UK, it is just excess packaging. They used to be a pint (568mL), but now they are various sizes; 660, 500, 484, 440, 330, 284, 275, 250mL. All of them smaller (with the exception of the occasionally seen 660mL).

The 1000mL can is a refreshing change. It also makes calculating alcohol units far easier. A litre of X% beer contains X units of alcohol.

What do you think?

Why bring the EU into this? Westminster voted to adopt the metric system more than 150 years ago.

True, but so what? Parliament voted to support the derogation, and people want it too.

As to the hated EU, I mentioned it only to highlight the fact that the UK 'needs' a derogation at all. Why should it?

True, but so what? Parliament voted to support the derogation, and people want it too.

As to the hated EU, I mentioned it only to highlight the fact that the UK 'needs' a derogation at all. Why should it?

Aye, sadly our EU masters have the upper hand on us. WHY should the UK need a derogation. We were GREAT Britain, these days we are subservient to the EU.

Angel.

True, but so what?

So, if they'd had the sense to go through with it, this argument would have been laid to rest before any of us were born, and we wouldn't have had to waste so much time at school learning a whole plethora of completely stupid units and trying to memorise how many of them made which.

I don't even know what a kilohenry is, but I know there are 1,000 of them in a megahenry. Who can tell me, offhand, how many gills are in a gallon, or how many roods in an acre?

I don't know of any other country in the world that is so ridiculously insular that it refuses to adopt an infinitely better and simpler system for no other reason than a Frenchman invented it.

Irrespective of beer in cans, leave our pints alone! The UK has a derogation from the EU's pathological insistence on standardisation of pints/gallons and miles.

I agree leave the pint alone, I could not imagine asking for a litre of bitter, or anything like that. So metric has been here ages, I don't do it, I do miles, inches and so on, give me imperial anyday.

I don't know of any other country in the world that is so ridiculously insular that it refuses to adopt an infinitely better and simpler system for no other reason than a Frenchman invented it.

And he was incorrect in setting the metre's length, intended to be 1/10 000 of the Earth's circumference!

'Nuff said.

Archived